View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #1170
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
w_1975 wrote View Post
To begin with i think that God is as comprehensible to us, as quantum physics or relativity would have been to ancient cavemen.

Seen in the above light some attributes of God as i see it:
-non physical (spiritual, higher dimentional)
-omniscient as far as humans and the universe are concerned
-incomprehensible (see above)

Some things are difficult to pin down scientifically for example:
What the is love ? What is it composed of ? In what unit does science measure it ? How does science detect it ? What evidence is there that it exist ?
Does good exist ? Does evil exist ? Why ?
Is jealousy a green monster ? Can you show me a piece of jealousy so i can believe in it ?

I don't trust science to be capable of detecting everything...

In the absence of absolute knowledge/evidence it seems you are inclined to believe God does not exist until science ((if it's capable) proofs otherwise, i'm inclined to believe God exists until science (if it's capable) proofs otherwise.
Unfortunately, none of this tells me what God is. Calling something "spiritual" or "higher dimensional" is extremely vague without a definition of what a spirit is supposed to be or the discovery of a dimension higher the three of which we are all aware. Is there such a thing as a fourth or fifth dimension (and I don't mean the 1960s pop group)?

Love and jealously are emotions, by the way. We all experience and see their effect on others every day that we're conscious. I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure their effect can be measured on the human body in terms of the chemicals that are released when we're feeling these emotions. Otherwise, we can see their effect in terms of the behaviors one exhibits when one is experiencing profound attraction or jealousy.

Evil is a concept. We don't like something or we find it malevolent, we call it evil. I think starting wars under false pretenses is patently evil. Others think homosexuality is evil, or a woman in a very short skirt is evil. Really. The vast majority of us probably think the wanton killing of innocents is evil. Even if we disagree on what constitutes evil in specific instances, we all know it when we confront it.

I thought God was supposed to be more than conceptual in the minds of those who believe in this alleged entity. You still haven't told me in any comprehensible way what God is to you. Forget science for a minute, since we all know that science is silent on the issue of the possible existence of a creator God. What, exactly, is it that you detect and place your faith in when you claim to believe in God?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote