View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 12:07 AM   #3091
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
I've had some thoughts about Jesus's faux sacrifice.

Maybe by being portrayed as the ultimate sacrifice he saved millions of goats and sheep from an untimely death on the altars of your god. Therefore he didn't come to save mankind at all but only to save the lives of the poor desert livestock.

Maybe that's why Jesus was so often portrayed with sheep. It looks like Francis of Assisi had the correct interpretation of the lord's purpose. Please explain.
You'll have to clarify the Francis of Assisi interpretation of the Lord's purpose. I am not familiar with his theology. Baptists are mostly Bible alone types.

I do believe he was a Catholic saint so maybe Judge will know given his background in Catholicism. I can't answer that question without some verification of his thoughts on the Lord's purpose.

You already know the answer to your previous question about what the difference was before and after the sacrifice of Jesus.

I am quoting this paragraph without a link sadly I don't have it anymore.
Hope Smelly won't get on my ass for it.

Sin requires a sacrifice and the shedding of blood to atone for those sins

Thus:
Question: "Why did God require animal sacrifices in the Old Testament?"

Answer: God required animal sacrifices to provide a temporary covering of sins and to foreshadow the perfect and complete sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Leviticus 4:35, 5:10). Animal sacrifice is an important theme found throughout Scripture because “without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness” (Hebrews 9:22).

Jesus was the final answer to sin and thus the new covenant. His sacrifice by dying on the cross and shedding blood changed this animal sacrifice to Jesus atoning for sins and living a sinless life meant animal sacrifices were no longer necessary after that. Jesus was the Messiah to do so awaited for in the OT.

Question:
Why then, do we no longer offer animal sacrifices today?

Animal sacrifices have ended because Jesus Christ was the ultimate and perfect sacrifice. John the Baptist recognized this when he saw Jesus coming to be baptized and said, “Look, the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29). You may be asking yourself, why animals? What did they do wrong? That is the point—since the animals did no wrong, they died in place of the one performing the sacrifice. Jesus Christ also did no wrong but willingly gave Himself to die for the sins of mankind (1 Timothy 2:6). Jesus Christ took our sin upon Himself and died in our place. As 2 Corinthians 5:21 says, “God made him [Jesus] who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” Through faith in what Jesus Christ accomplished on the cross, we can receive forgiveness.

This requires repentance and is a tough sell to atheists I do admit.

K, you obviously know quite a bit about theist "stuff." I know you reject it but I am impressed with the knowledge that SOME atheisst on this forum (for the most part, I won't name names) have on theism. Their rejection of it comes on study and that is important.

JJ
JerryJohn is offline   Reply With Quote