Thread: Merkins 2012
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #25
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Davin wrote View Post
Demand? I asked you to answer, I didn't demand. Go check again, I can wait for you to learn how to read first.
Ok.

Quote:
The Dictionary wrote
Ask.

6. To expect or demand
Quote:
Davin wrote
It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies, I don't think I've ever experienced warm fuzzies from anything. Also it does in fact explain why it is pragmatic.
Your stated goal by which I am to assess your pragmatism is to have people fight for their freedoms instead of surrendering them. Over, say, the past decade, would you say that policies have gone in that direction?

I think they pretty obviously haven't.

Quote:
Davin wrote
It's a good thing for you just thinking things, that totally counters my scientific study.
Asch's studies looked at conformity and the disruption thereof. What evidence do you have that voter preference for non-libertarian policies stems from conformity (i.e., what evidence do you have that these studies are even applicable to the question at hand)? Given that factors such as education (especially in economics) tends to increase libertarian policy preferences, why isn't voter irrationality a viable counter-model?

Quote:
Davin wrote
Atheism itself is the absence of a claim
Weak atheism is, yes. But if you allow weak atheism to assume the whole definition of 'atheism', then you're intentionally leaving out the strong atheist position.

Quote:
Davin wrote
whether people that fit under the term make claims or not doesn't matter for the definition of the term.
It does if strong atheism is part of the definition of atheism.

Quote:
Davin wrote
Your silly attempt at word games is entertaining though.
I'm glad one of us is amused.

Quote:
Davin wrote
I know you have problems with even basic concepts (like atheism, strong atheism and weak atheism), but I think even you can understand that an article that references empirical evidence is not itself empirical evidence.
You asked for empirical evidence, and I showed you where to get it. I even found you a nice, public-consumption level article with references handily marked for 'further reading' if you wanted to actually consult the empirical work itself. If you don't want to or for whatever reason aren't able, that isn't really an issue with my postion, is it?

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote