View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
whoneedscience wrote
Quote:
That's okay, I'm sure we'll whittle it down again. smile
Say's Tenspace, with his almost six times as many posts.

Ghoul, I just wish I shared your trust in the inevitability of science overtaking religious dogma. How is it that almost two thirds of Americans refuse to give up the ridiculous idea that humans were created by a god instead of a well-described and supported natural process? It's not like Natural Selection is a complicated or insignificant idea, yet almost no one seems to know anything about it other that what they learned to regurgitate in gradeschool or church. I just don't see any progress here, and religion is clearly a major impedement. What else is there to do but fight it, even if it only gets younger people to think about learning something?

And keep posting!
Amen, here.

Sometime around 350 BC, Aristotle proved that the Earth was round. My presumption is that it was probably a theory advanced long before that time. At the time Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, the majority of Christian Europe still believed in a flat Earth. Over a thousand years and the stubborn bastards still held on to their ideas, until once and for all the truth was shoved down their throats by explorers.

My guess is it will be more difficult to win the world completely over to science. I'm sure, thousands of years from now, people will still have their dogmas. But I think, little by little, science will win. (Maybe I am just a deluded fool.)

As for fighting with Theists over truth; I just don't bother to talk to them anymore unless they have a sincere desire to learn. When young people come to me with questions of Theism, I tell them frankly my position and explain that it is for them to decide for themselves.

As for you waging war against the forces of darkness; I offer you my deepest moral support. The more whoneedsciences we have in this world, the better it will be. In the mean time, I find Theist stupidity a supreme source of entertainment. Thank all the gods for messageboards like these!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote