View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #34
Erik

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
So in Summary

1) A belief in God's existence - based on the writings of reveared religious historical documents with high impact factor yields -> desirable afterlife.
2) A disbelief in God existence - based on the writings of reveared religious historical docuemtns with high impact factor -> no desirable afterlife.
3) A mere hope that God exists - based on the writings of reveared religious historical docuements with high impact factor -> maybe desirable afterlife.
Good grief -- will Pascal's Wager never go away?

Andrew, if I were trying to convince you to completely subject your intellect to my set of unproven beliefs, and I told you that if you believed I would give you a jelly donut but if you didn't believe I would slap your wrist, what is the likelihood you would subject your intellect to my set of uproven beliefs? Pretty much zip.

That's why, to get the result I want, I need to ratchet up the stakes, so let's try this: if you believe, your reward is a used 1986 Ford Explorer and if you don't, your punishment is that you have to play for the 2013 Houston Astros. Still not enough? OK, how's this: if you believe, you get eternal bliss and if you don't, you get eternal torture. Now we're talkin'! That's why this whole discussion isn't really honest: the purported rewards and punishments are much more likely to have been the result of rigging the system rather than real investigation or rational thought.

What you call revered religious historical documents are simply a smoke screen to hide this plain fact: you can control people by playing on their fears and superstitions and nothing is as effective as religion.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote