Thread: Shit Medicine
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #36
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
There are two kinds of medicine: that which works, in the valid statistical tested beneficial sense, commonly known as mainstream-medicine, and that which does not.
Nope, nope. The definition of alternative medicine is anything that falls outside the realm of traditional medicine. It includes nutrition, exercise, and meditation - Areas would never have come to light as something worthy of research if there weren't people challenging the establishment.

While I agree that someone who lies about their product - be it medicine or a lawn mower, should be prosecuted, I don't understand the objection to trying new stuff. If it weren't for alternative medicine the only means that we know to extend human life - CRON - would never have come to light.

Incidentally, your doctor is no more qualified to discuss food with you than the lowest nurse. They all take the same one semester nutrition course, and one survey showed that most doctors just quote to their patients what their mother told them. Talk about quackery.

Medical school is difficult to get into, but it is rife with nepotism and has the lowest attrition rate of any graduate program. For fuck sake they're body mechanics that have been working on the same damn model for 6000 years. It's not rocket science.

I'm not saying don't use an MD, but don't understand the reluctance to regard them, and their very narrow area of expertise with a critical eye.

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote