View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #44
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
Whisper wrote View Post
My own, personal, problem with this is that that last one simply assumes there are no scientific explanations. We may not be completely clear on it, but it is a YET. In time, we may have it all cleared up.

(Phil - if you pointed this out already, I apologise, your post was a little too tl;dr for me, as I am knackered atm!)
Well, Whisper, it's all based on assumptions, anyway. So, in this case, the assumption is that since science has, so far, not come up with a better explanation, it never will.

This used to be an even more common presumption about a lot of things humankind had never dreamed would actually become known. You know, sort of like when science was in its infancy and no one could fathom that it would one day grow up to discover mental disease. Until then, I imagine that it seemed perfectly reasonable for folks to assume that demons were behind any "weird" behavior exhibited by people way, way back in the day.

For some reason, a lot of folks just hate not knowing something, especially the answers to seemingly unanswerable questions. Until we know- if we ever do-- folks will continue to use inductive reasoning to try to know what, in fact, they don't.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote