View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #1788
Lily

Quote:
eternal0void wrote View Post
So from my use of a single analogy, you decide you know how I think?
I could have sworn I asked a question.

Quote:
You might have comprehended the last sentence and saved yourself looking stoopid:
Nope. Just looked in the mirror. I saw the same intelligent, well-educated woman I always see. Oops! Wait, no. That was the cat.

Quote:
If I didn't also know "human history and human psychology", and use them to understand reality, I wouldn't be able to compare them to "Star Trek." I picked a common denominator example demonstrating "human history and human psychology" to reach a wider audience and help that wider audience understand.
That is quite a claim to make. Not many people know "human history" and psychology as comprehensively as you apparently do. I wouldn't say that the audience here would have had any trouble understanding you. You are among the like-minded and a few of them are very well-educated.

Quote:
The alternative would have been rather dry and boring, except for the parts where religion created yet another entirely new way to disembowel someone for "not believing the right things."
Huh? Since when is making an intelligent statement about history or human psychology dry and boring?

Let me put it to you this way. There is very little on TV that reflects an understanding of history. There is very little on TV that reflects an understanding of human psychology except in the sense that the creators of advertising, which is the point of television, understand the consumer mentality very well. TV can teach nothing of value to those who do not bring a healthy understanding of history and reality to it. It fills up those who don't with the most appalling mish-mash of syrupy sentimentality, a completely distorted view of reality and no ability to discern what is good from what is evil. Thus it ultimately dehumanizes them. It simply is not the best source from which to draw analogies, though, of course, sometimes you may come up with very good ones. Star Trek is near and dear to many hearts but it is not the most obvious repository of solid wisdom about the nature of humanity. Since you have an understanding of history, why not draw on it directly?