View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 03:11 AM   #24
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
In the you-kay, currently, all state-funded schools are required to hold a daily act of collective worship. This is usually of a broadly Christian character, though a school can apply to make this of some other faith.
Our highest legislative body is at least talking about this antiquated malarkey.

I'd be interested to see what percentage responded 'christ-stain' in the recent national census. I suppose we'll have to wait till it drops below 50% before the morning worship bollocks finally does some dust biting.
Can those parents apply to not pay taxes for schools they pull their kids out of as well?

The whole purpose of tradition is to institutionalize practices that have been presumably a good thing to do for the society at some time in the past. It is a matter of being able to remember that activity so that it can be accurately repeated. In this sense tradition is much the same as music and poetry, both of which are simply memory aids. Therefore we can see that as soon as an activity becomes traditional it is almost immediately obsolete even if it was beneficial in the first place so I believe that tradition and doctrine are very bad reasons to do anything.

T Ithe repair manual for the 1948 Land Rover was beautifully written a contains much can be considered excellent literature. There is much deep philosophical truth in it and it provides wonderful insights into the mechanics of road transportation. The section on balancing spring pressure in the breaking system is deeply moving, for instance.

It has therefore become the traditional manual for repairing all of my cars even the most current ones, that is to say, it is a huge part of my automotive history and it is to be regarded as authoritative because of its age.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where the Range Rover and its magnificent manual had never existed.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote