View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #3102
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
I am no nearer to understanding this. It is just mumbo-jumbo to me.
What sacrifice did Jesus actually make?

As an atheist sin is a meaningless concept to me. One can't even conflate sin with secular law, the only way it can be described is as things that displease god. As a non-believer I don't care for your god's particular set of rules. I don't believe in moral-absolutism and to me things such as abortion or thinking lewd thoughts are not wrong.

Jesus didn't change a thing in the world. All he and the future church did was leave behind a bunch of fantastical unverifiable promises that there would be rewards for people that follow the fantasy. Obviously this wishful thinking would be very seductive to the superstitious and ignorant people of earlier centuries and a boon to the institutions that are churches. I think that people of this time have less of an excuse even though indoctrination from childhood is a very powerful thing.

I'm curious whether you think Jesus changed anything other than leave behind these unverifiable promises of an afterlife?
KA, I personally don't take the Bible so literally as JJ does.
The sacrifice of animals in my view was just a sacrifice to atone for sins - maybe if the Bible were written in modern times we would have to sacrifice money (currency) or our I phone - something we value.

Jesus obviously sacrificed his mortal life, and underwent incredible suffering during his crucifixion.

The Christian belief is that one's sins are "paid for" by Christ's sacrifice, which was otherwise unwarranted (Christ was innocent of wrong doing). The need for the universe to balance wrongs with rights, or justice is a concept similar to Karma. It is a Christian equivalent.

From an atheistic perspective, Jesus was at least a moral teacher. The Golden rule is spoken for Jesus's lips.

God Bless you KA - we love you!
Andrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote