View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
Ahh yes! I have heard about that. I once heard someone say that "it may be fair to say that nature's first instinct is to create a female" .
We're entering some very dicey territory here, if the topic is homosexuality.

Homosexual men are not women, even if some are effeminate. If you've ever been around a group of homosexual men-- and I have been, often-- their energy (for lack of a better way of putting it), is nothing like being around a group of women.

And let's keep in mind that male homosexuals are not the only homosexuals in existence. There are a lot of lesbians out there, too, and some of them don't conform to conventional ideals of what is appropriately feminine, if we're talking about nature having a preference in that direction.

Quote:
West491 wrote
Also, that's a very interesting idea about "a stable ratio of homosexuality in the general population". I also know for a fact that testosterone/estrogen levels in our bodies determine some physical characteristics. It seems that you are saying this: Genes get aligned in a balance and that will determine the femininity/masculinity of a person. Homosexuals are people who have this certain balance of hormones that causes them to be sexually attracted to the same sex. Is this accurate?
It sure doesn't sound accurate to me. Has any scientist ever isolated a collection of alleged "gay" hormones that are of a radically different composition than the hormones that "rule" straight people's sexuality?

Keeping in mind that I have an extremely weak background in science, my suspicion is that human sexuality, let alone homosexuality as a specific subset of human sexual proclivities, is far too complex and unwieldy to be approached in such a shallow manner. There are so many different kinds of homosexuals out there with varying levels of same-sex attraction, specific sexual predilections and behavioral traits that it seems rather unlikely that there is some specific biological anomaly that unites them all.

Quote:
West491 wrote
Okay so you're saying that homosexuality is a gene NOT a choice. I agree. However, I don't understand what you mean when you say "50/50 split" though. 50/50 split of what? Explain.
Why on earth would an estimated 10 percent of the population purposely "choose" to be misunderstood, maligned and targeted? For kicks?

Quote:
West491 wrote
**ALSO I WOULD LOVE IT IF A BIOLOGIST COMMENTED ON THIS THREAD AND ENLIGHTENED ME.**
If there is one in existence with the appropriate background to take on the topic, I would love to hear from him or her, too.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote