View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #14
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
When you start talking about alleles, I have to admit that you are talking over my head. I was very bad at biology and even worse at physics.

However, I would like to understand what testosterone levels and implied sterility have to do with homosexuality? Again, I'm assuming that that is what you're talking about in reference to "alleles that may or may not propagate" and battered "male testosterone levels" in developing male fetuses.

On the surface, it would appear that a particular trait of homosexual men is effeminacy, but I think that's only because those particular types of gay men are so easy to spot. However, I don't know that there is any evidence that a majority of such men are necessarily deprived of testosterone, at least, not to the point that they're actually sterile.

But what about the raging macho men whose orientations skew homosexual? If homosexuality is a result of insufficient testosterone, how does one account for them?
The discussion of testosterone as it relates to expression and the mother's immune system can be found in birth-order research, as a possible explanation for the tendency of consecutive male newborns to express less and less testosterone with each subsequent birth.

The great thing about Nature and genes and shit is that nothing is ever hard and fast... there are males who got to their homosexuality by a different route than low testosterone expression, just like different organisms came about eyesight in different ways; call it convergent homosexuality.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote