View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #40
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Rhinoqulous wrote View Post
Reality is my rational basis. I don't know where you live, but I think it's pretty obvious that rocks and bunny rabbits are distinct from each other. At least here in the United States in the year 2011, where there are no consistencies between animal cruelty laws (and seeing that you speak english I assume you actually understand what I refer to when I talk of animal cruelty laws), it would be nice to see laws like those that ban puppy mills nationalized.
Yes, I agree, outlaw puppy mills.

Given that the laws do not always represent reasoned conditions, Prohibition, for instance, I think laws must be justified, not that laws ought to justify positions that have no other reason.

A case can be made that our community does not care much about, say, puppy mills, by not having that law you recommended. So community sentiment is probably not the basis for a prohibition against suffering that is in puppy mills.

So, what is the basis for your objection to puppy mills? Why does the suffering in those places repulse you; is it nothing more than instinctive empathy on your part?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote