View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #135
orangeitis

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Religiously, I’m a Veridican. A Veridican is a type of Christian who believes that God is monistic in His nature and that the human purpose is to become Christ; Christ being God conscious of Himself from within His creation.
Interesting. I never heard of that sect of Christianity. I'd guess that it's either not a large denomination, or it's relatively new. I shall research this...

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
You know, I’ve done this before. There was an atheist who e-mailed with me and we had a serious intellectual debate with mutual respect about the existence of God. As we were going along, he just ducked out of the conversation and came back in here and started up with the same ol’ disrespect-shtick. It was a complete waste of my time.
Everyone's different. You shouldn't bunch all of one group, in this case atheists, together like that. That seems to be how stereotypes get started. And besides, you don't seem to know why he done that to you. Maybe he realized that he can't get through to you, and/or that you can't see his reasoning. A lot of people give up when they realize that. Don't take it too hard.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Given the existence of the universe as we find it, the best explanation is to infer that a Supreme Being created it and sustains its existence.
But that's wrong. See, what you've produced just then is called a false dichotomy. Humanity has not yet actually found something that "created" the universe, but you immediately assert that it must have been a supreme being that done it. That's a logical fallacy, assumptions should never be used to get your point across in a debate.

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Once we accept this, I believe we can speculate logically as to the character of this Being and derive the purpose of our lives and thus the best way to live our lives.
Of course if you assert something, we can make speculations based on that assertion. But if there's no evidence for the assertion, let alone reason to assert it in the first place, why bother asserting it in the first place? We'd just be throwing around our fantasies if we just went along with random ideas like that.

Christians! Want to convert some atheists? read this!
orangeitis is offline   Reply With Quote