Thread: Merkins 2012
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #883
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
Yeah. You don't always get what you want in a democracy. How horrible is that?
Pretty horrible!

It seems like a good reason to supplant democracy with markets wherever possible. I want people to be get what they want out of life, don't you? What kind of terrible human being would support a system that doesn't give people what they want when alternatives systems exist that do? Certainly not I.

Quote:
Irr wrote
Once again, all I am doing when I vote is exercising my voice. Sometimes it aligns with the voices of enough other voters and my choice prevails (thanks to me and all the others who voted similarly), and sometimes it doesn't.
And the outcomes would be the same regardless of whether you voted for the party you wanted, the party you hated, or stayed at home that day.

Quote:
Irr wrote
I have one vote, and that's all I can control. I do not live under any illusion that I am owed more than that.
I am under the illusion that when I can get what I want on my own or by voluntarily interacting with others, I shouldn't need others' input on the matter.

Quote:
Irr wrote
Well, if you really believe this, you can finally stop blaming me for philosophically supporting policies you don't like and think are detrimental. Otherwise, it sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it, too.
Nope. You're the equivalent of a guy pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger. That you're too ignorant to know that it's empty doesn't win you any points.

Quote:
Irr wrote
Your bias is that is you believe that this is the only valid way through which to view the value of casting a vote. You do tend to have a binary way of viewing the world. That is, in black-and-white terms, which would appear to be the basis for many of your stated biases throughout this forum.
If my thinking were binary, I wouldn't be able to provide point estimates.

Quote:
Irr wrote
Poor Victus. He must not lose. Ever. Even though, like everybody else on the planet, sometimes he will, whether he's sitting idly by poo-pooing a democracy in which he refuses to participate or playing his own individual hand in the free market.
What kind of person doesn't try to minimize their wins and minimize their losses?

Quote:
Irr wrote
Hmm. It sounds like you're trying to insult me but, somehow, I don't feel insulted.
Then the label sticks, fundie!

Quote:
Irr wrote
My goodness. You're probably younger than I even realize.
That doesn't answer my question at all.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote