View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Drew_2013

Belief is Opinion

Hello all,

Was just reading the first few posts in the thread 'So why should I be an atheist' and wanted to respond to a couple of posts.

Quote:
The reason why the vast majority of atheists do not believe in the existence of a god (or gods) is that the case for existence of a god has not met its burden of proof.
What burden of proof does a belief require? I would think the burden of proof in a belief about the truth of something would simply be more evidence in favor of than against such a belief.

Quote:
Atheism is the response to theist's claim that a god exists. We are not convinced by any of the arguments made for the existence of a god for us to justify belief that one does exist.
I personally don't say as a matter of fact God exists...I say its my opinion we owe our existence of the universe and humans to God. The only burden I have to form an opinion is a simple preponderance of evidence more than against. In regards to the theist atheist debate, atheism isn't in a vacuum. Neither the theist or the atheist denies the universe and sentient humans exist, the disagreement is over whether a Creator caused such or it was the result of a mindless process that fortuitously caused the universe and life to exist.
Drew_2013 is offline   Reply With Quote