View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #35
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
anon wrote
I have yet to see any poster come out here and say forthrightly that they agree that a person having religious belief is having psychosis. I was informed that MOST posters here on Raging Atheist do NOT agree with ONE poster who always equates believers with being psychotic.
Um, okay. I say here now, forthrightly, that I agree that a person having religious belief is having psychosis. Since the Wikipedia describes psychosis as "a generic psychiatric term for a mental state in which thought and perception are severely impaired," then a person with religious beliefs most certainly fits the term.

Of course, there are varying degrees of religious psychosis, just as there are varying degrees of nonreligious psychosis. There are people who'se only impairment manifests with regards to their religious ideas; that is, they seem perfectly capable of functioning in any other area of life or reality, but they inexplicably suspend their rational faculty on matters of a spiritual nature.

And then there are the seething fundamentalists like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Fred Phelps, or Carico, who are schizophrenically psychotic in their religious belief; that is, they are unable to distinguish their religious fantasies from the rest of reality, and are therefore incapable of properly functioning with the rest of society.

Quote:
anon wrote
Quote:
Choobus wrote
anon, you are a cunt.
Choobus, you are registering your count for the conclusion I drew above. According to Tenspace expectation of a professional way of saying things, it is possible to deduce that would not be a professional way of saying things.
Depends on your profession. Cunt might be a technical term for a gynecologist, but I'm not one, so I don't know.

Quote:
anon wrote
That is most posters here do NOT equate believers with being psychotic.
I don't know; we'd have to take a poll to find out. But you've currently got two votes in the AYE category.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote