View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Cap'n Awesome

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote
There's been some hand-wringing wankery in liberal circles lately about religion. 'O why can't the left be more 'spiritual'? Yecch.

This particular steaming turd in The Nation penned by a Judeo-Psychotic was so galling I wrote a letter, telling Rabbi Lerner that he forgot to mention the main reason why rational people are 'hostile' to religion in politics: because we think it's a fucking crock of shit.

Quote:
Later, I was pleased to notice that PZ Myers made a similar retort in his blog when he wrote
Here's a simpler explanation: many of us find his ancient tribal superstitions foolish, contradictory, irrelevant, and, well, stupid. We aren't rejecting them because we have leapt onto some other bandwagon for the credulous, but because we don't find him, or Jerry Falwell, or JZ Knight, or LDS President Thomas Monson, or Elizabeth Clare Prophet, or any of the endless chain of religious charlatans who have claimed divine insight, to be at all credible.
Pharyngula's post here.

(Maybe my letters-to-the-editor would stand a better chance of being published if I didn't use phrases like "that circumsizing douche-bag.")
Phil, the left has always had it's share of religious people. NPR is basically one long advertisement for liberal christianity. Ever hear of Jesse Jackson? Black Southerners aren't Republicans, and the Northeast is more Catholic then anywhere. The Senate Democrats don't have a single open Atheist, 43 Christians and 1 Jew. The left has always had it's share of religious or 'spiritual' people. Anyone who thinks that the left in the United States, specifically the Democratic party is the 'party of Atheism' is dead wrong.