View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #50
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Oh, surely you've heard: The atheists have done away with Descartes axiom. You see, they think consciousness and brain activity are the same thing. I think they call it "identity theory."

What they say is that anything you think IS the biochemical/electrical activity of your brain. Hence it's an illusion, but with no one there to be illuded. It's a fancy way of saying the "you" you think you are does not exist--the feeling that you do exist IS the workings of the gelatinous neuro-mold within your skull.

It's actually a form of intellectual cowardice, and it would be the inane ramblings of a shopping-cart pushing schizophrenic, but it's the academic elite who are claiming it, the self-appointed creators of truth.

It's the same thing as saying: just because something obviously exists doesn't mean it does exist. Just because you think it is there doesn't mean there is a you to begin with. It's Winston being tortured into saying 4 fingers is really 5 (see 1984).

And it's airtight. There is no way to argue against it. It's un-falsifiable. It's their version of "God did it."

With that belief firmly in place, they could, without conscience (because they don't believe in conscience anyway), solve over-population by putting live people through massive meat grinders and feeding the ground beef to other people. Why wouldn't they? Who knows? Don't ask them--they claim they don't exist.
Interesting

I suppose even the "intellectually elite" would have to admit though

I think, therefore the activity giving rise to this belief exists, and the activity is owned and operated by "I".

Its substantially the same.
Andrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote