Thread: Meat Machine
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Rhinoqulous
The Original Rhinoqurilla

Mog, Who, you seem to have missed my point. I used the Autechre song as it's not "traditional" music (I'm sorry that I made it appear that it was completely computer generated, it's not; it's "non-repetitive music, where each measure is distinct from every other measure in the song), something most people wouldn't find "aesthetic pleasure" in. My point was more about "art" than AI. A computer can generate art because pretty much anything can be "defined" as art.

As for a computer intentionally generating art, it seems odd that your friend would insist that it can never happen. His insistence that our brains are not "meat machines" is absurd. If he wants to say current computers are nothing like the human brain, well, of course they're not. By why he thinks that it would not be logically possible to generate something equable to human consciousness (and all that would imply) from something other than the human brain is narrow-minded.

Wait just a minute-You expect me to believe-That all this misbehaving-Grew from one enchanted tree? And helpless to fight it-We should all be satisfied-With this magical explanation-For why the living die-And why it's hard to be a decent human being - David Bazan
Rhinoqulous is offline   Reply With Quote