View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #30
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
skribb wrote View Post
Speaking of which, as someone who wishes to become a psychologist, I am especially interested in what's wrong with it. So far I have only seen critique against actual psychologists being crappy at their jobs, and not the discipline itself.
For psychological research, the bar seems to be lowered. Admitedly, we will never have as much experimental control as fields such as chemistry or physics (thought animal studies come close), but some psychology researchers take the leeway the field gives them too far (conducting poorly designed, poorly controlled studies and proclaiming some level of success).

From my experience working with the sociology department, it is the same basic problem, only magnified many times over. The bar for what constitutes "evidence" for sociology essentially rests on the floor. I've seen sociologists spin elaborate theories of group behaviour based on nothing other than their own speculation.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote