View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Whisper

I think one of the problems with the educational system in america, is that there is no national curriculum. Here in the UK, even home-schooled kids are taught exactly the same thing as every other kid in the country (with the odd exception here or there, and perhaps slightly different learning materials - the usal slight differences between counties and schools).

From what I know of the American educational system, there is no such thing. Home-schoolers in the US can pretty much teach their kids whatever they want, and each state has a different curriculum anyway.

It seems to me that if they had a national curriculum, with every child being taught the same thing, from English to Science to Art, with home-schoolers being checked up on occasionally and then every single child having to take the same exam, and it being compulsory - I feel a lot of the educational problems would be nipped in the bud.

Of course, with such a LARGE country, with so many states, it would be an awful lot of work to set this up. So I'm not going to hold my breath.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote