View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #3104
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
I am no nearer to understanding this. It is just mumbo-jumbo to me.
What sacrifice did Jesus actually make?

As an atheist sin is a meaningless concept to me. One can't even conflate sin with secular law, the only way it can be described is as things that displease god. As a non-believer I don't care for your god's particular set of rules. I don't believe in moral-absolutism and to me things such as abortion or thinking lewd thoughts are not wrong.

Jesus didn't change a thing in the world. All he and the future church did was leave behind a bunch of fantastical unverifiable promises that there would be rewards for people that follow the fantasy. Obviously this wishful thinking would be very seductive to the superstitious and ignorant people of earlier centuries and a boon to the institutions that are churches. I think that people of this time have less of an excuse even though indoctrination from childhood is a very powerful thing.

I'm curious whether you think Jesus changed anything other than leave behind these unverifiable promises of an afterlife?
A bit more my dear.

Jesus did have a big impact on our present society, hence "left behind" alot.

Jesus's teachings of "love they neighbour" and charity are taken seriously by 2. 5 billion believers that Jesus had an intimate connection with our Creator. The result is the Earth's number 1 charity to help the poor, the Christian Church.

And there is common ground between the majority of secular law and Christian Law - thou shalt not murder for example. There are just a few area's were secular morality and Christianity may differ - there is debate about whether it is "moral" to have an abortion and about whether it is a sin to act on homosexual impulses.

The Pope (leader of Christian Church) is leaning towards greater acceptance of the LGBTQ community. Abortion is a tougher one, even Secularists debate whether it is OK to kill a child, just because they are young (in mother's womb).
Andrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote