View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #23
Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
It depends on the group.

I grew up attending Unitarian Church. It was very hippy dippy. Lots of atheists and gays. Sermons were poetry readings, usually without a mention of any diety. They also took us on field trips to other places of worship, which did more for atheism than any comparative religion class...and they took us skiing. The teen sex ed class they taught was considerably more informative than health class. It was positive experience and I'm glad we went.

But the one near me now takes the Uni part of Unitarian very seriously. No atheists in site, which is why I go to the zen center instead.

I think Sunday morning family socializing is great, but I would shop the place without the kids before I committed them. Especially little ones that can't really articulate that Sunday School is run by a wacko.
This is my only knowledge of the Unitarian Church, which is why I was considering it. I still haven't had a chance to do much research. I figured we had some former/current Unitarians, which is why I came here first. If there are any other members who know about the Unitarian church, I'd love to hear it. I basically have the impression that Unitarianism is atheism in disguise, but I worry that it's a bunch of "not religious but spiritual" douches that would turn me off instantly.

In fact, I've pretty much come back to sanity and realize that this isn't for me.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote