View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Miracles are not possible because they must manifest themselves as physical and natural effects in order to be detected. Those physical effects, in principle, have traceable causes even if we don't currently have the technology to find them. So, a miracle today, as it was in olden times, can only be Arthur C. Clarke's definition "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". We may therefore freely translate "miracle" as "an unusual event and I don't know how it happened".

This concern over miracles, a.k.a. God poking a stick into our anthill to see how we scurry, misses the main point altogether. God (specifically the Christian adaptation of YHVH) should be clearly manifest everywhere one looks. God as a concept is inadequate as a premise for Christianity precisely because he is not observable. The religious contention that certain knowledge of God would somehow harm our free will is totally without merit (a complete cop-out for the inability of religion to display a single item that could only exist through the action of a volitional creator). I know with certainty that there are courts and prisons yet I am free to break the law, and many people do so. On the other hand, if I truly believed in God, Heaven and Hell, there is no way I would risk any sin whatsoever. I would "sell all I had, give it all to the poor”, and, wrapped in my only coat, take up residence in a church praising God with every last breath. I see few people who do this so I surmise that none of the Christians I meet is a true believer.

Faith is a null concept. It is entirely too easy to have faith in totally false things. The only way to choose what to believe is to apply knowledge logically and, even then you are hampered by the limitations on available knowledge. Faith validated by knowledge and logic is no longer faith, it has become more knowledge. So whatever faith remains cannot be validated and it is very likely to be quite wrong.

Short answer: a miracle wouldn't do it for me.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote