Professor Chaos
General of the Attacking Army

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Professor Chaos wrote
Quote:
SteveG wrote
And...how exactly does that have anything to do with the point I made? Let us say that of the 2 billion people calling themselves Christian, only 10% are thoughtful and interested in their faith beyond the cultural reasons (i.e. their parents were). So of the remaining 200 million, the vast majority will still be Catholic and Orthodox and the point will be the same.

Am I missing some deeper point you were trying to draw out?
No. Just pointing out your inaccuracy.
Which inaccuracy? That roughly 2 Billion people identify themselves Christian is pretty well attested as far as I know.

If they call themselves Christians, I am not the one to judge if they are 'true' Christians or not. Nor am I going to call into question their motives and reasons for calling themselves such. That's between them and God.

Many a Catholic I have known was a cultural Catholic for many years only to later have a deepening of their faith to what an outsider might consider 'serious' levels. Again, it's not for me to judge their level of Catholicity, but neither is it for you to do so.
If you asked the "vast majority" of Christians if they believe that "grace builds upon nature," they'd look at you as if something were crawling out of your ears before hurrying home to watch TV.

I will grieve. Grief is not a theistic concept. ~ Sternwallow
Professor Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote