View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #138
thomastwo
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
I asked because I was trying to understand your take on having an unreasonable acceptance of or "blind faith" in a scientific fact.

Frankly, I don't understand how you perceive it to be unreasonable to accept that a clearly demonstrable fact is a fact. If someone put in the effort to discover why gravity operates the way it does and can demonstrate the consistency of that operation, it would seem to me that "blind faith" plays no role in the observeable fact that what goes up must come down.
I agree. Somebody who doesn't have blind faith in science doesn't have blind faith in science. I never said that everybody has blind faith in science only that it is possible for somebody to have blind faith in science.

It's a completely obvious, unremarkable and straightforwards point that would have gone by unnoticed unless Davin had chosen to argue black is white.

Quote:
Irreligious wrote View Post
It would be helpful if you could provide an example of what you mean by having blind faith in a fact, science and/or the scientific method. You seem to be using all three terms interchangeably.
Here is the previous example I gave

"somebody could clearly believe in the scientific method without having evidence. For example "I believe in the scientific method because my teacher told me it was correct". Blind Faith."
thomastwo is offline   Reply With Quote