View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #424
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
to Sternwallo, Lily wrote
Your posts are so long that I can't muster enough interest to read past what directly interests me.
Then just read the review on Amazon; that should include all of the relevant information, right?

Quote:
Lily wrote
Nice try. It's ridiculous but a nice try.
Right. So I can safely assume that you'll never use demand as a more forceful synonym for insist. Good to know; I might insist that you credit me if you did. I might even demand it.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
I wrote
First; I don't comb through your messages. I only point out the glaring mistakes, and only because you harp about your 300 years experience studying Japanese architecture, or whatever degree you happen to have bought.
O yes you do, Linguistic Dwarf.
I'm going to give this back to you and let you work on it. If you resubmit it later in the semester, I'll average the two grades together

Quote:
Lily wrote
Of the 14 messages you have posted since yesterday 4:45 pm (or #318) all are directly about what I have written and 8 are directly addressed to me.
Your cownting has improved. Unfortunately, it still doesn't mean that I have to comb through your messages. Again: I'm only picking on your most glaring errors. If your rampant illiteracy occasionally compels me to take a break from picking on the errors of others (ask Method21 if I'm singling you out for criticism), it still doesn't mean that I have to comb your posts to find errors. My proliferation of posts criticizing your butchery of my language is indicative only of a particularly bad streak on your part.

Quote:
Lily wrote
I would say that that is demanding my attention.
I'm really just trying to impress my atheist friends.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Well, you finally got it.
I think I'm going to return it; the picture made it look a lot better in the catalog.

Again: I don't know why you think I care what you have to say. I'm criticizing you freelance here; I don't even care if you read my posts, much less if you actually respond to them. Honestly, I enjoy making fun of you with others more than I enjoy wasting my time trying to correct you directly.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Have you got anything to make the effort worth my while?
What effort?

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
ajf wrote
"Demand v. insist" is a usage issue; and while I expect those to be highlighted as well, it is not a syntax, grammar or spelling issue.
So what? Your usage is wrong.
Sadly, I just got my North Carolina state-issued poetic license in the mail, so I think I'll continue to use it in the admittedly unconventional manner that I've chosen when I feel the situation warrants it.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
ajf wrote
There you go again, assuming that I care if you acknowledge me.
You obviously do.
Oh darling; I really don't. I will, of course, answer you if you address me; I'm courteous like that. But whether or not you acknowledge what I have to say really isn't going to affect my day in the slightest.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Or would be if you didn't keep demanding answers from me.
Dearest, please try to parse the meaning from these words: I DON'T CARE IF YOU ANSWER ME.

In fact, I now demand that you not answer me. No matter what I post, you are not to address me. I insist.

Quote:
Lily wrote
Quote:
ajf wrote
What meaningless nonsense.
Finally we agree on your contributions to any discussion I am involved in.
You're rubber and I'm glue, I suppose?

And your tendency to end sentences with prepositions is truly abominable.

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote