Thread: Just Curious
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #23
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
First off, I thought I was being accused of being Gordon, now it's Jerry? Maybe intelligent theists all tend to sound alike. Second, I am not going to answer questions that are put to me in the form of hostile attacks. Ban me whenever you want. It's your forum, and I'm sure I do upset the applecart a great deal.

I don't have a name for my religion, but I can describe it. I am a monist. That means I believe that everything is God and nothing is not God. All that fundamentally exists is God. Everything was created by God and from God and therefore is of the substance of God. I agree in large part with Spinoza and his concepts of monism, attributes and modalities.

I believe human beings (and any other life forms like us in the universe, if there are any) are created to become God conscious of Himself from within His Creation. In other words, that's the point of our evolution. One of the attributes of God is consciousness and the human being is meant to be an expression of that attribute.

Where there is a lack of God-consciousness there is duality. A rock seems separate from God because a rock has no consciousness of God. Much like in a dream. Everything in a dream is really the mind of the dreamer, but because there is a lack of self-awareness in a dream, everything seems to be separate and individual.

From this understanding of God, love makes sense, as does honor, courage and dignity.
Jerry was a recent aberration whose unremitting hostility eventually pissed off even the mellow, forgiving Ghoul.

Well, that's a bit clearer. My assumption that you were Christian was incorrect, though I think reasonable in the current religious climate.

So, here we find ourselves with a thing, some 42 Billion light-years deep and likely even more than a hundred light-years deep according to some recent estimates. It is close to 13.7 Billion years old and it is undergoing accelerated expansion into an endless heat death where eventually even the black holes will evaporate to nothing. It is made of nothing but space down to some 8 decimal places or more, where the actual hearts of quarks reside. All of the material that makes up these consciousness, other than their Hydrogen and a bit of their Helium are the ashes of exploded stars, not part of the original big explosion. The tiny pocket of space where this key consciousness is found is destined to be literally eaten by its local star in about 5 Billion years and its ordinary sized galaxy will be completely disrupted by a neighboring galaxy collision (Andromeda) in some few 4.5 or 4.7 Billion years.

The density of the local space measured in units of consciousness per cubic megaparsec is laughably tiny, a number so very small that it approximates the degree by which the critical parameters of the universe are not tuned to be absolutely hostile to our form of life.

Can you explain how this object you seem to be calling god and we are comfortable simply calling the universe, managed to self-create and why you think this god has anything to do with our consciousness and especially why consciousness would be or could be any part of such a god's purpose, or, even deeper, why you think this god is capable of having its own conscious purpose without us?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"