View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
RenaissanceMan

Holy mother of shit! These people are INSANE.

They believe the earth to be a disc 24000 miles in diameter. And yet, the sun is a scant 32 miles in diameter orbiting 3000 miles above the earth.

Can someone please explain to me how that can possibly fucking work?

Apparently... you can only see 'so far' through the atmosphere... which explains why you can't see to the ENDS OF THE EARTH from a mountain top. But it doesn't explain why you can see the sun and moon all the time... And I quote:

Adanos wrote:
There is scientific proof that our eye sight is limited. Try standing on top of a large hill or mountain. You don't see the gound curving away from you, you simply see as far as you can, or as far as your eyes allow you to.

Me:
Really. Then explain why I can see the moon, or the sun, or distant stars... all of which are FAR more distant than any spot on the earth.

Unimportant wrote:
Because there is less atmosphere above you than there is to your sides.

Me:
Is that right. Then I should not be able to see the sun or moon when they rise over the horizon... since there is so much atmosphere between us then.

Also, My view of the stars should be a cone above me... since the atmosphere to the sides is limiting my vision.

Try again, hmm?

Unimportant:
The earth and stars are never close to ground level. Their appearance near the horizon is an optical illusion; there is never actually all that atmosphere between the sun and you.

Me:
Really! Then wouldn't this 'optical illusion' have a distortion associated with it? I would expect a spherical or parabolic distortion based on the depth of atmosphere and the actual angle to the observed body. Where is this distortion? I don't see it.

As to the sun... Are you saying that the amount of atmosphere between me and the sun is constant? Then how does it orbit the disc of the earth while at the same time the atmosphere is constant over the earth?