View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
West491 wrote View Post
Is this a rebuttal to what I said? Because it seems that this goes right along with what I said. Your "varying levels of same-sex attraction" will be accounted for in , my previously mentioned, "hormone balance". No, there may not be ONE balance that makes for a homosexual, but maybe a range of different balances. This seems very possible to me.
Well, I guess it was an attempt at a rebuttal. As I said, and will repeat for emphasis, I am not a scientist.

All I'm saying is that it sounds wildly speculative to me to say that "hormones" or a collection of specific genes are or may be a major contributing factor to homosexuality, without first having identified the hormones or genes in question. That's all.

No doubt, there are a range of factors involved in determining why some people's sexual attraction is oriented more towards the same sex as opposed to the opposite sex. It's likely that some are biological and others could be environmental.

In addition, it seems to me that when we talk about homosexuals, we're using the broadest definition possible in referring to people who either exhibit or act upon a sexual attraction to those of the same sex.

For instance, if we're talking about hormones that allegedly control the sexual orientation of "nelly" boys and "butch" girls who exhibit same-sex attraction, one has to wonder if they're the same hormones or slightly different ones from the ones that control the sexual orientation of feminine men and masculine women who are decidedly heterosexual in orientation.

Despite the comfortable stereotypes, there is no "one kind" of homosexual or heterosexual. There are multiple varieties of these conveniently labled individuals. And while I appreciate scientists' genuine curiosity and diligent work in trying to solve the vexing mystery of why homosexuality exists at all, I can't help but wonder if the approach of seeking to identify a collection of genes or specific hormones that may influence same-sex attraction and/or so-called masculine and feminine behaviorial traits in human beings is a might too simplistic.

To this very unscientific minded individual, it just seems like a shockingly inept way to go about solving what is, obviously, a very complex mystery.

But what the fuck do I know?

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote