Thread: Abortion
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #215
Stephen Kahn
New Member!

Thank you, Michael. When I was young, I got a lot of crap for being an atheist (to be fair, fell short of persecution, but nobody likes to be surrounded be people saying/implying "you are stupid; you are bad; etc.), so I am very pleased to see atheism come into its own as a serious category of thought and inspiration.

Quote:
What makes you think they are unaware if their mortality?
It's arguable. I just don't think animals "think" abstract thoughts in a way similar to how we humans do. Evolution drives us to survive and mate. "Higher" animals react to danger with "fight" and "flight." As much as we have striven to communicate with other animals; notably attempts to communicate with primates with sign language, and people such as Dr. Lilly trying to communicate with whales, I am very skeptical.

I think what you say about "fairness" is valid. Children start saying, "That's not fair," at a very early age. Many years ago I studied and worked in child development and education, but I haven't kept up so I can't throw a lot of references at you.

Quote:
I have yet to be shown legitimate arguments against abortion as a population control method. Many will find that view cold, but that does not make it incorrect.
You may be correct. Post WW II China, in my opinion, one of the more brutal and unpleasant countries of the 20th Century, adopted abortion as a primary method of birth control. They were realistic and sensible to realize that their explosive population growth was a problem and to strive to slow it down. From what I've read about China and its evolution away from the worst of Mao's excessive brutality and megalomania they have backed away using abortion as a main method of birth control. For one thing, forcing it on people is not a very wholesome or admirable activity. By and large, as living standards rise and as people depend less on having lots of children as an way to provide for retirement, population growth drops pretty quickly without imposed abortion. Also, although modern medicine makes abortion much safer than it used to be, it still is a major medical procedure. It also has a strong psychological effect on many women. It's part of our empathy evolution to care for and protect children. Even for people who are not religious, especially women, our drives are to protect and nurture children, and I think it is perilous to mess with that carelessly. I've known irreligious women who had to have abortions for medical reasons and they seem to be affected by (not traumatized, but impacted) the experience.
Stephen Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote