Thread: Politicks
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #243
Noodle

Quote:
Hobotronic2037 wrote View Post
Noodle, I want to share something with you that is slightly off topic, but I think related philosophically, and I’d love to get your thoughts on it. Recommended to me by a guy at work, I read this a couple of weeks ago and I still haven’t formulated an answer for it myself, or even what I think about it as a thought exercise. But I’ve been thinking about it a lot. It’s called Tale of a Slave. https://www.colorado.edu/studentgrou...ick_slave.html
The idea that paying taxes is slavery is pretty dumb for the reasons Smelly mentioned about what our taxes pay for. I'm curious about what kind of society the "taxation is theft" crowd envisions.

The really interesting part of this thought experiment is that, if I understood it right, the writer seems to think that your vote is meaningless unless there would have been a tie without your vote. In their scenario, if it's not a tie, the "master" doesn't even count your vote. There's something stupid about that view of voting that I'm having a hard time putting into words.

So it's like saying if yours wasn't the deciding vote, it means you didn't really have a say at all. But that's true for every voter, so I guess we should just get rid of voting because every individual vote is meaningless? It makes me hopeful that the writer of this and the people who think it's smart don't vote.

The taxation is theft/slavery crowd is just as dumb as people who think communism'll work.

I used the word "vote" too much and now it sounds weird. Vote, vote, vote.
Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote