View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 06:58 PM   #3084
Andrew66
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Simon Moon wrote View Post
Just to add, if one did have a 'minimal shred of belief' in the existence of a god, you know what that would make them? A THEIST!

I kind of figured that was pretty obvious, but then, I forgot who I was talking to.

This is not rocket science.

Atheism means - without belief in the existence of a god or gods.

Being an atheist does not mean that I am not open to the existence of gods. And it does not mean that I am absolutely certain that gods do not exist.
Your wrong.

I'm sure I'm correct to say your 100% not open to the possibility that an invisible unicorn spaghetti monster is presently 10 cm in front of you doing the chicken dance - correct? This is true, unequivocal disbelief.

But by you're own words you are open to existence of a god or gods.

So your level of disbelief is greater (at 0% belief) for the unicorn spaghetti monster as compared to the possibility of a God (so > 0% belief) - so that's a "shred" (absolute bare minimal level) of belief. Biblically we like to say "mustard seed".

Just a different way of looking at it.

My point ultimately is that Atheists could theoretically "hope" that a God exists (and therefore have a shot at a joyful eternal life etc.) - but it would be absurd to hope for the unicorn spaghetti monster.

Capice?
Andrew66 is offline   Reply With Quote