View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
BookThrasher

Quote:
If the natural sense is nonsense, it is not the word of God who is capable of clear communication. If the book contains nonsense statements or lies, it is not perfect hence is not the word of God.
Ah, but God didn't write the Bible.

Quote:
I like this. It's literal, except where by being literal it's incorrect, nonsensical, or morally corrupt. Then it's allegorical. Can I have the cake you're eating, too?
You don't seem to like the taste, so I'll keep it for myself, if you don't mind. And is it really that outlandish for something to deviate from a default position?

In any science class, one of the first things you learn to do is decipher when a solution is physically impossible. When you get on, it means you made a mistake somewhere. Same thing with interpreting Scripture.

Genesis 2:17

"but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for the day that you eat of it you shall die."

Genesis 2:22

"And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man."

Chronologically speaking, the deal was with Adam. Eve wasn't around yet.

Also notice that Eve experienced no side-effects from the fruit until after Adam ate some as well. Further,

3: 18

"[God said to Adam] "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten of the tree about which I commanded you..."

He says nothing of that sort to Eve.