View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #3045
JerryJohn
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
Hi JJ, I'm not an atheist, but I can put on my "atheist" hat for a moment to try a scientificy response.

Firstly, in science, the basis at the most fundamental level of all reactions (which lead to observable actions) starts with quantum physics - where there is inherent uncertainty. In other words, the world (including human's actions) does not move forward in a definably predictable Newtonian manner - there is uncertainty of what will happen from moment to moment. So by nature's design it is impossible to completely predict the future - both with regards to human's actions, or even how nature will respond.

So the concept of free will (in that our destinies are not apriori pre-destined) can be hypothesized. Judge, are you listening??

So rationally speaking, it appears that God set up the world - and is rolling the dice!

But when a criminal chooses a criminal behavior - to what degree is he/she to actually blame??

I submit that not al blame lies with the criminal. The criminal behaviour was influenced by 1) The criminals environment which shaped his character, and 2) The criminal's genetic pre-dispositions - neither of which the criminal had any control. I like to think therefore that only 1/3 of the blame lies with the criminal for any action - which is associated with his "free will".

One might say that because the criminal itself is helpless against the laws of quantum and thereafter Newtonian physics which ultimately cause him to act - so the criminal is blameless - the universe / nature is the only culprit. So maybe the criminal is just a pawn, 100% innocent.

However, if you believe in soul (spirit, beyond physics) and thereby true free will then I would say still 1/3 of the blame stays with the criminal.

This line of reasoning influences the courts and criminal justice system. It underscores the need for sympathy, empathy, and the importance of rehabilitation.

Just as Jesus loved the criminal who hung up on the cross beside him.

Amen.
Andrew,

I like the "atheist hat" answer. Very clever. Just as God loves atheists who reject him, and perhaps out of ignorance given the law is written in their hearts they too will meet God someday.

I'm not God so I can't say.

Hope this finds you and yours well.

JJ
JerryJohn is offline   Reply With Quote