View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
hertz vanrental
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Noodle wrote View Post
I'm also not even that interested in talking about religion. Although my mother recently sent me a video about how unlikely our human existence is, therefore god. (I didn't watch it, I got the gist from her.) She said she wasn't looking to convert me, she just wanted my opinion on it. (Uh huh, sure.)

I told her, sure, it's unlikely, but so is every other potential timeline of existence. If you shuffle a deck of cards, each possible order of the cards is incredibly unlikely, but does that mean the order it does end up in is a miracle?

I might argue that time and space is so vast, it's actually unlikely that there would not be intelligent life somewhere, sometime. And any intelligent life would ask these questions about their existence. That it's us and not someone else is just how the cards got shuffled.
Yes, human existence is unlikely - or is it? This argument is posited by christards in order to prop up the existence of their god.

However, we have no idea how many failed attempts at creating life there were before success was achieved. It's entirely possible that, even in very small rock pools all over the planet and on millions of other like planets throughout the universe, attempts were made over millions or billions of years. If there were billions of rock pools, then there could have been literally trillions and trillions of attempts made. Under these conditions, the creation of life, is more of a certainty and less of a remote possibility.

Let's say that we are wrong and life is improbable. Improbable isn't impossible, so it could still have happened without the need for a deity.

Let's even suppose that a deity was involved, it may not have been the bible-related deity.

The deity may even be still around or may have 'died' long ago.

Now the possibility that it was the god of the bible that created life begins to diminish rapidly and makes that possibility extremely unlikely.

Do I sound like a fuckin' people person?
hertz vanrental is offline   Reply With Quote