View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #42
Lily

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
Calpurnpiso! I am aware of your revision of my beloved classical history but I ain't buying it. I won't say I haven't enjoyed it, but I ain't buying it.
The reason is because you know NOTHING about the history of the Roman empire, the Life of Caesar his writtings, the writtings of Virgil, Appianus, Pollio, Suetonius, Seneca, etc. You know nothing about the Egyptian religion, Roman religion, Greek philosophers, Egypt under the Ptolomys. You know nothing about the vastness of the Roman empire which INCLUDED the WHOLE Mediterraeum sea who the Romans called MAre Nostrum ( our sea). You know NOTHING about the assasination of Caesar, his funeral, his status as a GOD, his temples and the cult that followed. You know NOTHING about the life of Herod the great ( A LOVER of ALL thing Roman) and his family. You know NOTHING about the Roman army VETERANS who settle ALL OVER the Empire. You know NOTHING about THEIR religion. You know NOTHING about latin and Greek structures and the languages SPOKEN in the VAST Roman Empire.....so, it is of no surprise you do not buy it.
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Uh--Undergraduate Classics major, here. I actually have read most of that stuff. In Latin, some of it (Caesar, Virgil, Suetonius, Cato and Catullus, maybe a few others, as well). If I could have conquered Greek I would have done my graduate work in Classics, too. Alas, Caesar's loss was King Arthur's gain... But heck, it is all glorious Liberal Arts!