Thread: It's About Time
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #22
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Time?

I don’t understand time.

Time is very puzzling to me and a rather hard concept to grasp for my mind. When I first discovered that time was relative I was mind boggled. It is hard to imagine time as not being constant. I still don’t quite understand what it means that time is relative in practical terms.

As far as I have come to understand, time is relative to the velocity between two observers (?). This means that objects in orbit around the earth are travelling at a faster rate than us down here on Earth and therefore they experience a slight time dilation (time goes slower).

Then consider the following premise: humans colonize Mars. Now, I don’t know what speed Mars revolve around our sun, but lets for the sake of argument say that the speed it travels around our sun is 100 times that of Earth. Would this mean you age slower on Mars? I’m sure the mathematics to calculate how much of a difference this would make is not easy, but does anyone have a clue?

Now, consider this next premise: Humans create an artificial moon and plant ingredients for life along with an atmosphere upon it. If we were then able to accelerate the object so that it would revolve around our sun at, let’s say, 90% of the speed of light (perhaps this speed would mean that the Sun's gravity would not be able to maintain its hold on the object, but ignore this for now). Would then any organisms that would evolve on this artificial moon evolve at a much higher rate than organisms on earth?
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote