Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #31
theistic_sheep
New Member!

Yes I quite like Ehrman. I am not very strong in my faith at all. I've toyed with the idea of deism, but I can't give up on the idea of God without denying perceived interactions with a God.
theistic_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #32
psychodiva
I Live Here

I think it's all a load of bollocks promoted by men to control women and sex and get money and little boys- but hello anyway

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #33
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
theistic_sheep wrote View Post
I can't give up on the idea of God without denying perceived interactions with a God.
You did not have an experience with a god. No one ever has and anyone who says they did is either lying or being deceived. Pick your poison.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #34
Demigod79

Quote:
Yes I quite like Ehrman. I am not very strong in my faith at all. I've toyed with the idea of deism, but I can't give up on the idea of God without denying perceived interactions with a God.
Can you elaborate more on those perceived interactions? As a person who's never communicated with a deity, I'm interested to know what such an experience is like (for example, how do you know you're in contact with a god, as opposed to say, aliens or some other unknown source?)

Religion - it gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
Demigod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #35
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
... I am not very strong in my faith at all. I've toyed with the idea of deism, but I can't give up on the idea of God without denying perceived interactions with a God.
You know, personally, I'd really like to respect your perceptions. I certainly respect your right to own them. They are yours, after all. But what troubles me is the idea of my having to be involuntarily drawn into other people's faith systems and the perceptions that arise from their idiocycratic beliefs, however benign.

I think it's galling to atheists (well, this one, at least) in a way that, ironically, only religious minorities who are held captive to the beliefs of a much larger religious group might understand.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #36
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Of course, being a cantankerous old git, I'd word it rather less courteously - I'm appalled at the thought of being in any way associated with a bunch of delusional people who hear voices in their heads, talk back to them and for some reason expect me to respect it. Bollocks to it all, these people should feel embarrassed at the thought of needing to tell the world of such stupidity!

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #37
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

theistic_sheep, it would be interesting to hear about your perceived interactions. In my experience such things are purely perception and can quite often be explained by things ranging from the power of suggestion to mental illness.

Looking at the world as a whole do you not think that it more likely that your perceptions could be deceiving you. Whether it is for comfort as a kind of self defense mechanism or just merely a strong desire for god to exist. Obviously I don't know you so this is just speculation, but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts. I quite often find that when someone believes an experience that is divine has occured there is an underlying reason, this reason and the associated experience stops them questioning or analysing their experience.

Smelly: You! Cantankerous! never. Cuntankerous maybe.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #38
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Demigod79 wrote View Post
Can you elaborate more on those perceived interactions? As a person who's never communicated with a deity, I'm interested to know what such an experience is like (for example, how do you know you're in contact with a god, as opposed to say, aliens or some other unknown source?)
I'm pretty sure that Quetzalcoatl once fondled my ass in a nightclub in west Hollywood. Cheeky monkey! But what you gonna do? He's God!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #39
clambake
shred

Quote:
I have an interest in the construction of the bible and how it has changed over the years. I don't think it is perfect, or inerrant, or even inspired (though parts might be) but it is a really interesting look at the history of religious belief among a select group of people over time.
Indeed, I highly recommend Asimov's Guide to the Bible.

And welcome

"Ignorance is not bliss; it is terrifying like walking blindfolded down a dark hallway full of set bear traps." ~ Sternwallow

Death will be like 1964 all over again.
clambake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
I am not very strong in my faith at all. I've toyed with the idea of deism, but I can't give up on the idea of God without denying perceived interactions with a God.

Seems to me if your faith is not that strong, then your are on your way to realizing that there is no God. "Perceived interactions" with God are nothing but delusion, and it sounds to me as if you're that close to finding that out for yourself.

As yourself, TS. Have you ever experienced any evidence that is verifiable? Or are you basing what you believe only upon what others have told you? Have YOU ever been presented with concrete proof?

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB

Last edited by Stargazer; 03-25-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote