Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Newk

Earliest animals

A Much Earlier Start for Animals

Where did all the animals come from? The fossil record is virtually animal-free up until the Cambrian Explosion 540 million years ago, and then--boom--thousands of critters of all shapes and sizes show up. The mystery has plagued scientists for more than a century and a half, beginning with Charles Darwin. Now, with a brilliant bit of detective work, researchers have located our missing ancestors.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Very interesting find, thanks for the link.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Eva
Super Moderator

no proof of god yet? cool!

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
Eva wrote View Post
no proof of god yet? cool!
Someone needs to turn one over and look at the label.

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
BOF

How do you define an animal ? I've always though the term includes bacteria.

I wouldn't expect obvious fossils. Is my understanding incorrect?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

Quote:
BOF wrote View Post
How do you define an animal ? I've always though the term includes bacteria.

I wouldn't expect obvious fossils. Is my understanding incorrect?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~Epicurus
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Living things that can reproduce on their own (not Virii) all have DNA, including the animals, plants and fungi.

Very small and very soft creatures do not leave much of a fossil record individually, though large colonies of them do.

Stromatolites have been around for some 3.5 Billion years or pre-Precambrian and there are living examples today.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
Newk wrote View Post
A Much Earlier Start for Animals

Where did all the animals come from? The fossil record is virtually animal-free up until the Cambrian Explosion 540 million years ago, and then--boom--thousands of critters of all shapes and sizes show up. The mystery has plagued scientists for more than a century and a half, beginning with Charles Darwin. Now, with a brilliant bit of detective work, researchers have located our missing ancestors.
Think of the early forming planet earth & comets as epoxy glue. One needs two elements.

The early earth had the elements for life. Ironically comet & meteor collisions, as that of sperm fertilizing & egg creating a life form, gave earth the necessary spark for life eventually intelligent life & all of it due to a series of accidents. Since Christ-psychotics don't have a brain to compute this data, their only answer is "god" or "Intelligent Designer"

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote