Old 06-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
DOMi

Free Will

Hello,

I have been thinking...if the universe is just blind forces that interact with each other, where does free will and consciousness come in to play?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
DOMi wrote View Post
Hello,

I have been thinking...if the universe is just blind forces that interact with each other, where does free will and consciousness come in to play?
Maybe they don't.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Eva
Super Moderator

we have a thread called Introduce Yourself. know it, use it, become a friend of it, eh?

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
DOMi

I already did some time ago, been travelling to different ideas on the net and such.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
DOMi

Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
Maybe they don't.
But it does, what descisions you make effect matter(lifting up a cup to pissing in a bush and changing the consitancy of moisture in the dirt on the ground).
Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
calpurnpiso
I Live Here

Quote:
DOMi wrote View Post
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. Free will & Consciousness originate in the Universes Within. The universes Within we create our Minds with, the BRAIN.

Tinkering with the brain can distorts its thinking. Our brains have deviced a way to understand the Universe. The very large, with Relativity & very small with quantum mechanics. Perhaps the theory of everything rest in understanding the 11 dimensions than make up the infinitesimal bubbles of the pulsating strings responsible for consciousness.

Christians and other folks infected with delusional beliefs think and reason like schizophrenics or temporal lobe epileptics. Their morality is dictated by an invisible friend called Jesus.
calpurnpiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
DOMi wrote View Post
But it does, what descisions you make effect matter(lifting up a cup to pissing in a bush and changing the consitancy of moisture in the dirt on the ground).
And that matter affects your "decision." You only think you have a choice.

Unless you embrace the idea of a supernatural there is no source for your free will. Is the supernatural what you are suggesting?

Never give a zombie girl a piggy back ride.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
DOMi

Yes to calpurnpiso.but no matter how much you mess with the brain you will always have something inside that makes a descision, either choosing on or off.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
DOMi wrote View Post
Maybe what you call decisions are just more blind physical forces interacting, physics in motion as it were.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
DOMi

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
Welcome to the forum. Free will & Consciousness originate in the Universes Within. The universes Within we create our Minds with, the BRAIN.

Tinkering with the brain can distorts its thinking. Our brains have deviced a way to understand the Universe. The very large, with Relativity & very small with quantum mechanics. Perhaps the theory of everything rest in understanding the 11 dimensions than make up the infinitesimal bubbles of the pulsating strings responsible for consciousness.
Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
Maybe what you call decisions are just more blind physical forces interacting, physics in motion as it were.
So if you decide to make a decision, the out come of deciding to make that descion is the descision itself? uhh..does that make sense or am i just crazy lol
Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
ubs
I Live Here

A question for theists would be "Do chimps have free will."

As they are said not to have an immortal soul, I would expect the answer to be no, and yet they appear to make decisions just as we do....

That whole other-life-isn't-special-like-us thing is very problematic.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
DOMi

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

As they are said not to have an immortal soul, I would expect the answer to be no, and yet they appear to make decisions just as we do....

I AM NOT A THEIST...HOW DARE YOU!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
ubs
I Live Here

My deepest apologies.

So where do you think free will comes from then? Your thoughts are a chemical reaction, so what prompts them?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
DOMi

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
My deepest apologies.

So where do you think free will comes from then? Your thoughts are a chemical reaction, so what prompts them?
Well, since I TRY and base all my beliefs on reason, my reason states that we simply do not have enough information yet to fully explain how free will works and its interactions with the Universe.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
DOMi

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post

I would think that chimps have free will. Give it two bannanas of the same size and freshness. The chimp will have to choose one.