Old 06-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #61
ocmpoma

Quote:
genius2687 wrote
Ok so there really aren't any Islamic laws on the books yet so perhaps what I initially stated was not as accurate. I still hold onto the rest of my argument though.
You mean the one that's based on an obscene fallacy?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #62
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Just an update - probably best described as "Islamic Drift"?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/6737993.stm

Quote:
The Article wrote
Supporters of the niqab greeted the ruling as a victory for freedom.

But officials at the university have said it indicates a drift towards Islamic extremism.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #63
antix
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote
Just an update - probably best described as "Islamic Drift"?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/6737993.stm

Quote:
The Article wrote
Supporters of the niqab greeted the ruling as a victory for freedom.

But officials at the university have said it indicates a drift towards Islamic extremism.
They're better off letting her wear the face covering. Cause if a muslim man sees a bit of her chin, he'll have no choice but to rape her and it will be entirely her fault.
antix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #64
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Quote:
One of the plaintiff's lawyers wrote
The court said in the strongest of terms that it is up to women to decide about their clothing, and that women should not be discriminated against because of the clothes that they choose to wear.
This is encouraging news. I didn't realize that Egyptian women could wear whatever they wanted, without men (religious leaders or not) coercing them.

I wonder what this lawyer's quotes would look like if it involved a law suit against Islam forcing women to wear certain clothing.

Edit: Sorry, it wasn't a defense lawyer, since that obviously would have been the university's counsel.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #65
Wakkun

Quote:
nkb wrote
Quote:
One of the defense lawyers wrote
The court said in the strongest of terms that it is up to women to decide about their clothing, and that women should not be discriminated against because of the clothes that they choose to wear.
This is encouraging news. I didn't realize that Egyptian women could wear whatever they wanted, without men (religious leaders or not) coercing them.

I wonder what this lawyer's quotes would look like if it involved a law suit against Islam forcing women to wear certain clothing.
Also this:
Quote:
Hossam Bahgat, one of Ms Zainy's lawyers, told Reuters news agency the ruling was a victory for "women's autonomy over their body and dress code".
George Orwell couldn't have made it up.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #66
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
nkb wrote
Quote:
One of the plaintiff's lawyers wrote

Edit: Sorry, it wasn't a defense lawyer, since that obviously would have been the university's counsel.
"Here, slut, wear this leash and shackles whenever you go out. Oh, and by the way, if anyone asks, you say you are doing it voluntarily or else!"

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #67
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Building a mosque on near the World Trade Center has the usual right wingnuts' shart-stained knickers in a twist but, as much as I think a mosque (or a church or a Scientology deprogramming center or a Creationist Museum) is a waste of space, it looks like New York is going to do the right thing and let the Mecca-pointing commence.

Bloomberg gave what I have to admit was a pretty good speech, even if it is slightly salted with some Godly hoo-hah.

Quote:
“The simple fact is, this building is private property, and the owners have a right to use the building as a house of worship, and the government has no right whatsoever to deny that right. And if it were tried, the courts would almost certainly strike it down as a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

“Whatever you may think of the proposed mosque and community center, lost in the heat of the debate has been a basic question: Should government attempt to deny private citizens the right to build a house of worship on private property based on their particular religion? That may happen in other countries, but we should never allow it to happen here.

“This nation was founded on the principle that the government must never choose between religions or favor one over another. The World Trade Center site will forever hold a special place in our city, in our hearts. But we would be untrue to the best part of ourselves and who we are as New Yorkers and Americans if we said no to a mosque in lower Manhattan."
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #68
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Sorry Wakkers - is it necessary to call a vote on this?
Erection Objection sustained!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #69
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
Erection Objection sustained!
I see your point, however there is a negative to this as well.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #70
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Christly people try to thwart the Jizzlamis.

Good luck challenging the Landmarks Commission. My default position is that everything should be landmarked, but then you have to force somebody to restore the place and that don't work too good in a semi-free society like this one. The building in question is a decent candidate for it -- it's over 150 years old, has an interesting neoclassical façade, and so forth. But it's also just sitting there like a bad tooth.

But why would a "conservative" group want to prevent private property owners from building whatever the fuck they want on their property ?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #71
Victus
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
But why would a "conservative" group want to prevent private property owners from building whatever the fuck they want on their property ?
This is part of why I never really understood the alliance between conservatives and libertarians in US politics. Supposedly the former shares the latter's free market ideals, but in practice I'm not sure that this is the case.

"When science was in its infancy, religion tried to strangle it in its cradle." - Robert G. Ingersoll
Victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #72
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

It's as if emotionalism -- perhaps manifest in tribal identity -- trumps ideology. The right, in principle, wants the government out of their lives, right up until it's their ox being gored.

Merkin conservatives have fetishized the US Constitution as a sacred, inviolable document. Until it goes against their interests (or bigotries, as the case may be) -- then it's toilet paper.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #73
ubs
I Live Here

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Christly people try to thwart the Jizzlamis.
They're mimicking the Swiss attempt at constraining the growth of Islam. Since I also favor restricting of the growth of Islam, I wish them well, but I don't think the zoning trick is going to work out.

Quote:
Victus wrote View Post
This is part of why I never really understood the alliance between conservatives and libertarians in US politics. Supposedly the former shares the latter's free market ideals, but in practice I'm not sure that this is the case.
Like Progressives and Labor they are only aligned within a narrow area. Both the GOP and the Libertarians have a large portion of members that are planning for the day when they are Bill Gates and have Bill Gates sized tax problems.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #74
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
They're mimicking the Swiss attempt at constraining the growth of Islam. Since I also favor restricting of the growth of Islam, I wish them well, but I don't think the zoning trick is going to work out.
At some point, we will have to draw the line somewhere on this vile religion. The sooner the better! This hateful delusion has no place in a modern society.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:36 AM   #75
magx01

Quote:
Bloomberg wrote
But we would be untrue to the best part of ourselves and who we are as New Yorkers and Americans if we said no to a mosque in lower Manhattan
BULLSHIT!! If they were who he's professing them to be, there wouldn't be this huge fucking controversy down there. The reason there is is because that's EXACTLY who they are.
magx01 is offline   Reply With Quote