Old 07-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Wakkun

Not really news, as such, but about news: religious news.

William Lobdell was determined to redress the perceived imbalance in religious reporting in the mainstream media, he pitched to the LA Times:

Quote:
I didn't just pray for a religion writing job; I lobbied hard. In one meeting with editors, my pitch went something like this:

"What if I told you that you have an institution in Orange County that draws more than 15,000 people a weekend and that you haven't written much about?"

They said they couldn't imagine such a thing.

"Saddleback Church in Lake Forest draws that type of crowd."

It took several years and numerous memos and e-mails, but editors finally agreed in 1998 to let me write "Getting Religion," a weekly column about faith in Orange County.

I felt like all the tumblers of my life had clicked. I had a strong marriage, great kids and a new column. I attributed it all to God's grace.
Read how it all turned out in this powerful piece.

I won't quote any more of it as I think it deserves to be read in full, not that much of the content will suprise many here...

Oh yea, I should credit the referrer (and the piece is reproduced here, in case the LA Times needs a subscription that I forgot I have): Unorthodox Atheism Blog.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
GodlessHeathen
Obsessed Member

This guy was interviewed on NPR last week (Terry Gross, I think, but I don't remember). Coming to the truth isn't always easy or comfortable, and I wish the guy well.

Christian: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbor. - Ambrose Bierce
GodlessHeathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
skribb

Way to discredit himself for getting the job. What an assgoblin.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

...bump...

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Method21

megabump