Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #31
lostsheep
Obsessed Member

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Texas is predominantly Republican, conservative, and religious. Yes, there are plenty of sane people here, usually more concentrated in the bigger cities, and especially in Austin, which is known as a liberal enclave, but, overall, we're still outnumbered.

We have a blood-thirsty governor (Rick Perry) who, surprise, happens to be a bible-thumping dickwad. He is proud of his assembly-line efficiency in killing off the death row inmates, even when new evidence is indicating a miscarriage of justice (his answer, kill them off quick, we can worry about murdering innocents later).
Why does it seem that religidiots are always the most anxious to punish and kill others?

Christian preachers preach forgiveness (especially when they get caught), turning the other cheek, praying for gawd's blessings for your enemies, not judging, yada yada yada....and yet Christians always seem to be calling for blood: hang em' high, torture the heretics, bomb the crap out of the Muslims, etc. Why the hypocritical extremes?
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #32
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post
Why does it seem that religidiots are always the most anxious to punish and kill others?

Christian preachers preach forgiveness (especially when they get caught), turning the other cheek, praying for gawd's blessings for your enemies, not judging, yada yada yada....and yet Christians always seem to be calling for blood: hang em' high, torture the heretics, bomb the crap out of the Muslims, etc. Why the hypocritical extremes?
The very bricks that make the foundation of the monotheisms is pure hypocrisy.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #33
Lily

Quote:
lostsheep wrote View Post

Are they hypocritical? Why? Who is calling for the torture of heretics, these days? Perhaps soemthing a rather prominent conservative philosopher just wrote, Totalitarian Sentimentality might help:
Conservatives recognize that social order is hard to achieve and easy to destroy, that it is held in place by discipline and sacrifice, and that the indulgence of criminality and vice is not an act of kindness but an injustice for which all of us will pay. Conservatives therefore maintain severe and -- to many people -- unattractive attitudes. They favor retributive punishment in the criminal law; they uphold traditional marriage and the sacrifices that it requires; they believe in discipline in schools and the value of hard work and military service. They believe in the family and think that the father is an essential part in it. They see welfare provisions as necessary, but also as a potential threat to genuine charity, and a way both of rewarding antisocial conduct and creating a culture of dependency. They value the hard-won legal and constitutional inheritance of their country and believe that immigrants must also value it if they are to be allowed to settle here. Conservatives do not think that war is caused by military strength, but on the contrary by military weakness, of a kind that tempts adventurers and tyrants. And a properly ordered society must be prepared to fight wars -- even wars in foreign parts -- if it is to enjoy a lasting peace in its homeland. In short conservatives are a hard and unfriendly bunch who, in the world in which we live, must steel themselves to be reviled and despised by all people who make compassion into the cornerstone of the moral life. ...

Liberals are of course very different. They see criminals as victims of social hierarchy and unequal power, people who should be cured by kindness and not threatened with punishment. They wish all privileges to be shared by everyone, the privileges of marriage included. ...

Those two portraits are familiar to everyone, and I have no doubt on which side the readers of this magazine will stand. What all conservatives know, however, is that it is they who are motivated by compassion, and that their cold-heartedness is only apparent. They are the ones who have taken up the cause of society, and who are prepared to pay the cost of upholding the principles on which we all -- liberals included -- depend. ...

By contrast, as conservatives also know, the compassion displayed by the liberal is precisely that -- compassion displayed, though not necessarily felt. ...
If you read this essay, you will get it.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #34
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Thanks for posting an excerpt, where the strawmen are prominently displayed. Saves me from reading the whole pile of bullshit.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #35
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
snkb wrote View Post
Thanks for posting an excerpt, where the strawmen are prominently displayed. Saves me from reading the whole pile of bullshit.
nkb I wondered when Lily would crawl out of her mental superstitious woodwork and here she is. The following I want to acknowledge from the estimable and feisty Freethinker site, UK. And what it provides, with what almost seems divinely inspired timeliness, are examples from Lily's ultra perfect, ultra extreme, ultra reared (Hitler Youth) all time hero - yes, let us hear it for the Big Man himself - Ratzinger, now metamorphised into the gentler sounding Benedict - Papa himself.

This, dear readers, is what Lily regards as the ideal lifestyle as a conservative: thieving, physically brutal, sexually depraved, merciless in their pursuit of their own selfish needs and if that means the terrible abuse of small children entrusted to their own untender care well, that's the way it goes. So much is behind closed doors and if there is exposure then wafting them away to another parish is the favoured tactic.

These scum make the Mafia look good. What Lily hopes to achieve by daring to raise this issue in this way is known only to those with brains so addled with RC superstitions that they have rotted beyond recovery. Bye, Lily, yet again you are going nowhere on this one.

It’s not just the Church’s appalling record of child abuse that’s been receiving wide coverage. There are also reports of its murky financial dealings.
One recent headline said Vatican Bank reported to be facing money-laundering investigation.
And another read The Vatican’s Dirty Secrets: Bribery, Money Laundering and Mafia Connections.
And there are literally hundreds of headlines implicating the Church in the spread of AIDS in Africa and South America. Here is just one example: AIDS to spread faster with Catholic condom ban.If the Pope truly wants to see less reporting of evil in the world, we suggest he disbands the Roman Catholic Church, padlocks the Vatican and shuts himself away in a retreat for decrepit old tyrants!
Broga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #36
Lily

More gibberish from a man who rarely manages to sound sane. Just exactly what issue did I dare to riase? Do you really want babble that those who think that justice demands that wrong doers be held to account are thieving, physically brutal, sexually depraved, merciless (I assume you think these are bad things but who can tell?) and then turn around and demand death, prison, and destruction for the priests who have committed crimes? Do you really not understand that those two mad claims of yours conflict?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #37
nkb
He who walks among the theists

Who here was asking for death for the kid-diddling priests? Do you ever get sick of building strawmen?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
George Bernard Shaw
nkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #38
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
More gibberish from a man who rarely manages to sound sane. Just exactly what issue did I dare to riase? Do you really want babble that those who think that justice demands that wrong doers be held to account are thieving, physically brutal, sexually depraved, merciless (I assume you think these are bad things but who can tell?) and then turn around and demand death, prison, and destruction for the priests who have committed crimes? Do you really not understand that those two mad actions of yours conflict?

Lily, Quit while you are so far behind. Because you can only take another hammering from the many already inflicted on you. You must have an insatiable appetite for receiving critcism.

Don't act simple, dear. You are already simple. You know what I mean.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #39
Lily

No I don't know what you mean. I doubt anyone does, except in the broadest of terms. You write vitriolic nonsense; you rarely respond appropriately to what is said to you in response to one of your tirades and *everything* is an excuse for you to go off on some topic of your own. I was responding specifically to the question (dishonest though it was) that Lost Sheep raised. It had nothing whatever to do with the Pope, the priest scandals or anything else you raised. You just decided to spew here, instead of doing it on the thread you created where it might have been some what appropriate.

Why is that? Why are you so angry that you are always incoherent with rage? Or so I assume. You might be incoherent simply because you are a nut.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #40
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
nkb wrote View Post
Who here was asking for death for the kid-diddling priests? Do you ever get sick of building strawmen?
nkb Lily, Ratzinger worshipper, follows in the footsteps of the Master. What doesn't fit her agenda for attack she invents and then foists it on an innocent and extremely sensitive person of a delicate temperament (I refer to myself) and abuses them for something they neither said nor wanted. Dear me, is it any wonder my feelings are bruised?

Watch the performance about to wash over us: note the shifty, shuffling, deceitful, lying, whining, complaining and descent into the kind of abuse that contains the vulgarity she must have picked up in association with her RC associates. First post and already the favoured early tactic of ad hominem is on display. At her core she is a cruel and vicious woman: entirely representative of the Sisters of Mercy now talking about $190 million compensation for their young slave victims. Unlikely to be paid as they have already thought up a way to slip out of putting actual cash on the table.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #41
Lily

Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #42
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
No I don't know what you mean. I doubt anyone does, except in the broadest of terms. You write vitriolic nonsense; you rarely respond appropriately to what is said to you in response to one of your tirades and *everything* is an excuse for you to go off on some topic of your own. I was responding specifically to the question (dishonest though it was) that Lost Sheep raised. It had nothing whatever to do with the Pope, the priest scandals or anything else you raised. You just decided to spew here, instead of doing it on the thread you created where it might have been some what appropriate.

Why is that? Why are you so angry that you are always incoherent with rage? Or so I assume. You might be incoherent simply because you are a nut.
Lily. Do let me try to explain. You see, you are used to brutal company, terrible threats, being told they will burn you if you disobey and you have become hardened to this as you mix with priests, nuns, religious people. This is your lifestyle.

But I associate with gentle people like atheists, agnostics and others who are not subjected to the foul language and all these terrible threats. I live a gentle, rural life with kind people. Therefore, is it any surprise to be amazed when I encounter a religious thug such as yourself who is so ready to deceive, lie, cheat and invent. I know you get much of this from that repository of sex and violence the bible and that you believe in a stone age tyrant whom you imagine is a god.

But it is hurtful to a gentle and kind person such as myself. And, of course, you are so obviously a highly literate, wonderfully erudite person that again it is upsetting to have my ignorance, confusion and limited writing skills held up by someone such as yourself.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #43
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post

Lily, You really are a clown. What are you doing here? Won't they allow you even on sites - Christian fundamentalist sites for example - more suited to your abysmal level of comprehension. Why do you keep returning here? What are you intending to achieve? You repeat the same piece of Roman Catholic bullshit over and over and never offer anything that shows a glimmer of freshness and thus never lessens the boredom of the bullshit.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #44
Lily

What in hades name are you talking about? I mix with normal people which includes a handful of priests and lots of believers of every kind, as well as atheists. I have never talked to a nun in my life. Of course, I have only been Catholic for two years, so there is still time. I have never been told by anyone that I will burn if I disobey (disobey what?)

No one has ever threatened me except some of the atheists here. Despite threats of being cut and of being put in wood chippers, feet first, I take anonymous threats pretty lightly. As for the person who makes such threats seriously, I think they have psychological problems, just as I think you do. You have created some ridiculously bad Hollywood scenario and you believe it. Why? Anyone who can believe that atheists and agnostics are gentle is seriously deranged. Because I believe that you are mentally ill, I will not respond to you further. I do not want to feed your fantasies nor am I up to dealing with someone who needs professional help. You need far more help than I can offer.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #45
Broga
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Lily wrote View Post
What in hades name are you talking about? I mix with normal people which includes a handful of priests and lots of believers of every kind, as well as atheists. I have never talked to a nun in my life. Of course, I have only been Catholic for two years, so there is still time. I have never been told by anyone that I will burn if I disobey (disobey what?)

No one has ever threatened me except some of the atheists here. Despite threats of being cut and of being put in wood chippers, feet first, I take anonymous threats pretty lightly. As for the person who makes such threats seriously, I think they have psychological problems, just as I think you do. You have created some ridiculously bad Hollywood scenario and you believe it. Why? Anyone who can believe that atheists and agnostics are gentle is seriously deranged. Because I believe that you are mentally ill, I will not respond to you further. I do not want to feed your fantasies nor am I up to dealing with someone who needs professional help. You need far more help than I can offer.

Lily. You have never met a nun! OK, I can understand why you want to boast about that as you clearly realise that you are one lucky woman. Continue to keep clear, Lil. The Sisters of Mercy have agreed to pay $193 million as compensation for their wickedness. Think what they might have done to you if they had got their hands on you. Unless,of course, you would enjoy being a slave in their laundries and providing sexual entertainment. Yes, Lily, quite right to make it clear that you avoided them.

One other little piece of advice because I know that is your hidden agenda when you write these diverting notes to me. Men who are celibate are not normal; they are seriously abnormal, emotionally unbalanced and liable to acts of unbridled passion - often with children. Play it safe,Lil, do not enter they vestry alone with any of these priests and that includes those over 70's which I hear is the only kind left now. They might still take your long preserved virginity. Take care, dear. They are not to be trusted.

If you need more advice do let me know. Always ready to help someone in need of sane and rational advice.