Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 AM   #211
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
AtomJack wrote View Post
Truth is, I thought about a gig as a snake oil salesman for awhile, but as Heinlein pointed out, one has to have the stomach for it. I didn't.

I know, I know. I look at the preacherscum in their mansions, Bentleys, private jets, busy opening those tax free cash stuffed envelopes sent by the yokels, and wonder, "why can't I do that?"
It's all my parents fault - they raised me to have a conscience, and I'm doomed to die poor like them. Sigh.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #212
dogpet
Obsessed Member

Atheist clergy clinging to only job they are qualified for. Can we blame them?

thank goodness he's on our side
dogpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #213
AtomJack

I can just see if I tried it. I'd be into some chant or something and would start laughing. It would end up being called the "laughing church", and that just wouldn't work, since one can't hate on the LGBT's and every other stripe of religious insanity while one is laughing.
AtomJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:03 PM   #214
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Lady Smelly once got to play in a small orchestra at some local catlicker dive, so I agreed to cheer on from the pleb pews. The priest & some visiting head honcho were less than amused at the plethora of bright orange "Get Out of Hell Free" cards dumped in one of the collection plates. The culprit did not give one fuck.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #215
ghoulslime
I Live Here

I've entertained the idea of starting my own church, just for the entertainment value.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #216
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Broadcast TV is a wasteland these days, but for sheer comedy you still can't beat Jim Bakker. I used to get home from night shift, crack open a rum and a coke, and settle in to watch the Jim and Tammy Hour. Ah, those rivers of mascara, the nephew in the iron lung, the air conditioned doghouse! They out did even the Adams Family.
Then, things fell apart, and poor Jim did his jail time, for the measly crime of a little over-booking. Or should we charitably say, he took time out for a little Prison Ministry.
But, Jim's been back on TV for some time. He's assisted by an assortment of well fed fellow cons and their Bimbos, and he's back in the Real Estate business, but where he really shines is saving folks from the impending (any time now!) doom of the end of it all, by selling survival stuff, such as a battery "generator" that will keep you warm and cozy in your electric blanket and lights, while your neighnours freeze in the dark.
And then there are those buckets of dehydrated food.
Jim has gleaned that when the end comes, food will run out, and gangs will terrorize cities, killing people and indulging in cannibalism to survive.
You can laugh at them with your own personal stock of 12 Corn Chowder Soup Buckets, for the bargain price of $2400! That's only a little over $10 per serving!
(How can I get these suckers to send ME their money!).

http://jimbakkershow.com/lovegifts/b...up-bucket.html

You just can't beat comedy like this!

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Old 08-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #217
AtomJack

What good's all that swag going to do, when he gets raptured? That cognitive dissonance is ringing in his head so loud that it drowns out the obvious.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #218
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Jim Bakker's Doomsday Survival Gear Is Way Overpriced

http://www.thewire.com/national/2012...rpriced/52499/

Old 08-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #219
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Bakker went so far as to take an awkward sip from one of the six-gallon buckets, which was promoted with an on-screen graphic saying they held 323 servings. He can be seen coughing after tasting the soup, before insisting, “It’s so good.”
https://christianpundit.wordpress.co...-bean-burgers/

Old 08-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #220
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

More Great Christian Comedy.....

http://jimbakker666.blogspot.ca/2011...s-them_07.html

Old 08-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #221
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

Quote:
ahoba wrote View Post
This is a nature!! This is epistemology!! they are born knowing some thing!!!
So it is an instinct?! Then why do you disagree?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #222
AtomJack

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I've entertained the idea of starting my own church, just for the entertainment value.
Will there be leprechauns? I hear that they are kind of sneaky little shits. I just don't want to get caught up in some shenanigans with a shillelagh up the old corn hole, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #223
AtomJack

Quote:
Sinfidel wrote View Post
Broadcast TV is a wasteland these days, but for sheer comedy you still can't beat Jim Bakker. I used to get home from night shift, crack open a rum and a coke, and settle in to watch the Jim and Tammy Hour. Ah, those rivers of mascara, the nephew in the iron lung, the air conditioned doghouse! They out did even the Adams Family.
Then, things fell apart, and poor Jim did his jail time, for the measly crime of a little over-booking. Or should we charitably say, he took time out for a little Prison Ministry.
But, Jim's been back on TV for some time. He's assisted by an assortment of well fed fellow cons and their Bimbos, and he's back in the Real Estate business, but where he really shines is saving folks from the impending (any time now!) doom of the end of it all, by selling survival stuff, such as a battery "generator" that will keep you warm and cozy in your electric blanket and lights, while your neighnours freeze in the dark.
And then there are those buckets of dehydrated food.
Jim has gleaned that when the end comes, food will run out, and gangs will terrorize cities, killing people and indulging in cannibalism to survive.
You can laugh at them with your own personal stock of 12 Corn Chowder Soup Buckets, for the bargain price of $2400! That's only a little over $10 per serving!
(How can I get these suckers to send ME their money!).

http://jimbakkershow.com/lovegifts/b...up-bucket.html

You just can't beat comedy like this!
As one of my neighbors told me recently, discussing any sort of disaster, "I know where all the Mormons in the neighborhood live. I'll just bust a cap on them, and take all their food. I don't have to have much above that, except for some water." Maybe I need to find out where the local fundies live. They may have some buckets of food, too.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 AM   #224
ahoba

Quote:
Hobotronic2037 wrote View Post
If you would have actually read my answers and were capable of comprehension you would have realized it's quite a bit more complicated than that. I also caveated it with the concept that a statistically small number of chickens may not exhibit this innate behavioral mechanism for whatever reason: nature, nurture, brain damage from a falling sky or getting messed up by a cock, chicken free will, retardation, anxiety, religious beliefs that God can do anything so if it's his will for the eggs to hatch he'll make it happen, a greater desire to cross the road than sit on eggs, general boredom, post-partum depression, gender identity issues, and perhaps other factors.

Before I provide the careful answer you so breathlessly await to this most important question that is so vitally critical to your existential framework, I do believe we should be both using the same, exacting definitions of words so as to communicate as precisely as possible.

Kindly define the following words for me: Accident. Instinct. Inherited. Answer. Necessarily. Disappear.

Thank you.
Okay

Instinct: a behavior which is performed without being based upon prior experience.

The instinct is created without intervention of a mediator like God!
Is the instinct passed on to the offspring?

Regards
ahoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #225
Hobotronic2037

Quote:
ahoba wrote View Post
Okay

Instinct: a behavior which is performed without being based upon prior experience.

The instinct is created without intervention of a mediator like God!
Is the instinct passed on to the offspring?

Regards
Ok, first off God doesn't exist. So it would be hard for something that doesn't exist to mediate instinct in a species.

Secondly, I'll go with your definition of instinct for now but it's probably more complicated than that.

Third, I can't answer this definitively, but from what I've observed, instinct is passed on to the majority of offspring. But not all. My current working model is that instinct is encoded genetically, and, like all things genetic, sometimes doesn't express itself for whatever reason. Think Mendel and the bean plants as a simplified model for how genetic expression unfolds.

Have you ever wondered if belief in a god or gods is a human instinct? After all, all cultures from time immemorial do it. All with different gods and metaphysical meanderings and what not.

What if your belief in a creator God is just a expression of your? It makes more sense than faith in omnipotent and invisible beings, at the very least.
Hobotronic2037 is offline   Reply With Quote