Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
Ross_videosprint

Deathbed repentence

If you had a few hours to live and were lying there accepting your fate, would you throw in a sincere deathbed repentance just in case? Even if no one was looking?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
Mog
Obsessed Member

I've already convinced myself that even if god exists, he would be wise enough not to give a damn whether someone believed or not.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
Ross_videosprint

You know you'd give it a go though. Even if you think it's a logical contradiction, just in case you got it wrong. Eternal bliss would be gutting to miss out on...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Ross_videosprint wrote View Post
You know you'd give it a go though. Even if you think it's a logical contradiction, just in case you got it wrong. Eternal bliss would be gutting to miss out on...
I've concluded already that if god made a heaven he'd have made it for everyone. Otherwise he wouldn't be fair, since moral goodness and badness are at least in part genetic. Of course, I suppose it is possible that god isn't fair, but that would defeat the whole point of the heaven/hell system.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
Ross_videosprint

I figure this. If God is all loving and reasonable then he can totally understand me taking the reasonable position of doubting/denying his existence due to a lack of evidence and experience of him. I'd still give it a go if I was dying though. Just in case.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #6
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

I've already concluded that if God of the Bible exists, I'm going to kill him in the afterlife.
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Facehammer

I doubt I'll have much time for deathbed repentances, because there's a very good chance I won't die in such a manner. In all likelihood, I'll get it fom something I never expected and didn't see coming, like a bus or a sniper or a shark or a meteorite or a wasp hitting me in the forehead in a 190 mph convertible or something.

In the highly unlikely event I discover I'm completely wrong and there is a sickening, prayer-filled afterlife where I'm surrounded by prudish, pious cunts for all eternity, I've got a solid kick in the testicles wound up ready for god, on behalf of all humanity.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
marstosirius

Honestly, on the infinitesimally tiny chance that there is an afterlife, I'd be bummed if I ended up in heaven. I'd honestly consider that torture. Non-stop putz worship for an eternity? No thanks. I'll just be looking forward to being dead when I'm on my deathbed.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #9
mmfwmc

I couldn't convert sincerely. It just wouldn't be possible, no matter how much I wished it. I'm a rational person and faith in any kind of god is not rational.

Add in the fact that if god did exist I would hate him.

I'm going to spend my time on my deathbed dropping stuff for the nurse to bend over and pick up.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
Ross_videosprint

If you actually look at the Christian concept of heaven most of them have got it wrong anyway. The Bible describes God creating a 'new heaven and a new earth'. In other words that humans will live eternally in a garden of eden style perfect world - not right next to God on his big throne or whatever. Hell would be a place simply devoid of God I guess. It would be without the characteristics that we like about him, love, grace, mercy, kindness. All that stuff.

As a Christian I never thought of hell as a firey pit. More just darkness saturated with evil, lies, deceit, anger, spitefulness and all those human characteristics we dislike.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
VladTheImpaler
Obsessed Member

I kind of like anger, in moderation.
VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Why would encroaching death make repentance 'sincere'? Sounds pretty shallow to me, and only a shallow deity -- one not worth spending further attention on, let alone eternal worship -- would fall for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #13
Ross_videosprint

Quote:
Philboid Studge wrote View Post
Why would encroaching death make repentance 'sincere'? Sounds pretty shallow to me, and only a shallow deity -- one not worth spending further attention on, let alone eternal worship -- would fall for it.

Well I suppose that's the problem. It can't be sincere if your motive is to get the deity to 'fall fo it'
Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
Philboid Studge
Organ Donator

Why not just do a quickie repentance now, to cover past and future sins? The Fat Bastard is supposed to be 'beyond time' and all that. Anyway if His supplicants are any indication, He's probably not too bright.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
La propriété, c'est le vol ...
Philboid Studge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Hertzyscowicz

Hell would be a place devoid of God? I'll take one ticket, please.

Now, on the Pascal's wager thing, what if you get the wrong god? If in the afterlife you are brought before, say, Anubis and he gives you five minutes to come up with an explanation as to why with your dying breath you espoused the cult of a downright demon, what would be your excuse?

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish." ~Albert Einstein
Hertzyscowicz is offline   Reply With Quote