Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
En_Route

Leaving God to one side, what makes you think that YOU exist?

Maybe you don't.
En_Route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
ubs
I Live Here

Maybe not.

So what is your point?
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
En_Route

Just a gentle exercise in ontology. A question doesn't necessarily demand or anticipate a particular answer or range of answers so there is no point in the sense that you imply.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
ubs
I Live Here

We've had philosophical strip tease acts in here before. Unfortunately, the final mental titties are always a disappointment. Do be too crest fallen if the general response is .... flaccid.
ubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

I exist because I perceive that I exist. I, at least, exist in my own mind. To others, I may or may not exist, it is all in what they choose to perceive, as well as how they interpret it. I definitely don't exist according to my ex.

Heh. Heh.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Kate
Mistress Monster Mod'rator Spy

Gentle, eh?

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
psychodiva
I Live Here

could you tell us from the offset whether your end-point is gonna be goddidit or not please as i don't want to waste my time otherwise

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
West491
Obsessed Member

The way that I perceive my existence is good enough for me. I can experience love, laugh and eat greasy food!
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
ubs wrote View Post
We've had philosophical strip tease acts in here before. Unfortunately, the final mental titties are always a disappointment. Do be too crest fallen if the general response is .... flaccid.
For sure! They always make that bulge in their pants seems soooooo much more enticing that it really is. All this talk about how big and throbbing their mighty god is, and then comes a droopy little pee pee all puckered like a raisin and such.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
En_Route wrote View Post
Maybe you don't.
I will venture a serious answer, although I suspect you have a lubed up god dildo ready to stick into the first crack you come across.

Maybe we don't exist. Maybe this is just one big dream in some cloud giant's head.

Now that we are buddies, let me ask you a couple of questions. Would you like to find out the reality of your existence? (Or non-existence)

Would you rather know the whole truth of the origin and purpose, if any, of the universe and your place in it, or would you rather deceive yourself into believing all truth fits into your leaky religious bucket of horse pucky?

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Irreligious
I Live Here

That's an interesting question, because it's the one thing of which I'm absolutely certain.

In order to think, I have to be.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Sol

Leaving something imaginary, in an imaginary place.What do I imagine, makes me certain I'm not imagining myself. ?

Is that the question ?

Could you repeat the question ? (perhaps narrow it down for me)

Professor Plum - In the Dinning Room - with the Lead Pipe...
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
En_Route

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
could you tell us from the offset whether your end-point is gonna be goddidit or not please as i don't want to waste my time otherwise

I don't have a preconceived endpoint nor am I trying to set anybody up for a metaphysical fall. Rebutting straw-man arguments for the existence of God
just strikes me as a bit of a jejeune pastime.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
En_Route

Quote:
ghoulslime wrote View Post
I will venture a serious answer, although I suspect you have a lubed up god dildo ready to stick into the first crack you come across.

Maybe we don't exist. Maybe this is just one big dream in some cloud giant's head.

Now that we are buddies, let me ask you a couple of questions. Would you like to find out the reality of your existence? (Or non-existence)

Would you rather know the whole truth of the origin and purpose, if any, of the universe and your place in it, or would you rather deceive yourself into believing all truth fits into your leaky religious bucket of horse pucky?

What an invigoratingly surly and suspicious lot you are. But conscious of the privilege of the friendship which you have seen fit to bestow upon me, let me place a manly arm about your shoulder and reassure you that I am a superstition-free zone.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
Irreligious
I Live Here

Quote:
En_Route wrote View Post
I don't have a preconceived endpoint nor am I trying to set anybody up for a metaphysical fall. Rebutting straw-man arguments for the existence of God
just strikes me as a bit of a jejeune pastime.
Then what are you doing here? I ask, because, personally, it never occurred to me to engage those folks on the Internet who spend their time waxing philosophical on whether or not Justin Beiber has talent. For instance.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote