Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

The future of Raving Atheists

Something in the message from Stern to Smelly that was posted the other day really struck a chord. Stern was obviously thinking about the future of the forum, as well as it's current users. I was wondering if there was any suggestions to get the forum out there more, this is such a great place with archives containing a wealth of information, it would be good if more were around to see it. I for one would be prepared to sacrifice some time/money to help with any suggestions. Or is it just me, and everyone is happy with things how they are?

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
psychodiva
I Live Here

when it has been tried in the past there are usually a few cries of 'we can't stay in a place where you *gasp* swear at theists'! have some respect! or similar such crap - I for one am quite happy to stay as I am - an incorrigible old broad with much to say and most of it containing the word 'fuck'

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

I'm happy right here and I don't even use the Anglo Saxon words. Others, do, and it doesn't matter to me. I think the subject matter is primary, and the method of expression secondary and/or for emphasis.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Ahhh, the old throbbing chestnut – does size matter rears its head again. In my 5-6 years here numbers have ebbed & flowed, talents and twats have come & gone, but there’s always been a good solid core of ravers. I occasionally glance at other ‘volume’ forums with hundreds of active members and I find them often cold, impersonal and overloaded with far more prattish drivel than we sometimes produce. I feel many of the old arguments have been round the mill dozens of times and most theists bring nothing new to the party – the current pair of idiots for jayzus must be the most retarded dickwads I can recall posting here.

We do attract more non-registered lurkers than active members, so words are certainly getting out to a wider audience and if anyone here does post elsewhere, they’re always welcome to copy or link to particularly incisive or interesting posts, crediting the author of course. So personally, I prefer small, and if the often colourful language and intolerance of horseshit frighten some folk off – tough shit, the fuckers can stay at ‘Bland Atheist’. Our circle jerks have nice warm hands.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
psychodiva
I Live Here

precisely

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Michael
Obsessed Member

I think that this forum appeals to a niche of atheists precisely because it is so much more aggressive than most other forums, so I don't think this style could ever attract a large mass of users.
Personally i think it's better - it means that with a smaller user base it's more personal, a little more intimate, and you don't get lost in the crowd so much.
It just means that sometimes the forum is a little sparse of comments also, on slow days.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Stargazer
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Michael wrote View Post
I think that this forum appeals to a niche of atheists precisely because it is so much more aggressive than most other forums, so I don't think this style could ever attract a large mass of users.
Personally i think it's better - it means that with a smaller user base it's more personal, a little more intimate, and you don't get lost in the crowd so much.
It just means that sometimes the forum is a little sparse of comments also, on slow days.
And, in the past few days since we found out about Sternwallow, everyone's a bit subdued.

I thought you said you didn't care what any of us thought? So, you do care? I do wish you would make up your mind already. - NKB
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Eternal
Thank God I’m an atheist

Taking all of the above into account, I retract any request for suggestions fully, I will administer 50 lashes to my ass cheeks as penance immediately. I know what you mean about the impersonal nature of some other forums, I think that is why I gravitated towards this place, so I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll shut the fuck up now.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
West491
Obsessed Member

I'm here in the hope that my shining light will make you all nicer atheists like me. Perhaps I need a different approach.

In all seriousness, if this forum should ever stop being the cesspool of heathen blasphemers, foul-mouthed trash, and hell-bound devil-worshippers that it is today, I think I'll quietly make my way to the nearest exit.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
Taking all of the above into account, I retract any request for suggestions fully, I will administer 50 lashes to my ass cheeks as penance immediately. I know what you mean about the impersonal nature of some other forums, I think that is why I gravitated towards this place, so I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll shut the fuck up now.
I think it fitting for you to bring the topic up for discussion. As far as exposing the forum more to the Interwebs, I see no reason why we can't paste a link to it here and there. As far as financial support goes, if our mighty goddess ever needed funding, I would personally sell my left kidney if that's what it would take to keep this place going. I ended up here precisely because of the small and personable nature of this forum. I have made some very wonderful friends here. RA is a fine place to hang out, like a tiny local bar in one's own neighborhood. Wherever I find myself in the world, I can always check in with friendly forum faces.

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
ghoulslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

This place has a history, style and culture all its own which I think is pretty unique and special. I also think irreverence and satire are very powerful and often underestimated tools for changing peoples perspectives.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
psychodiva wrote View Post
when it has been tried in the past there are usually a few cries of 'we can't stay in a place where you *gasp* swear at theists'! have some respect! or similar such crap - I for one am quite happy to stay as I am - an incorrigible old broad with much to say and most of it containing the word 'fuck'
Oh, I like it when you talk dirty!

The Leprechauns do not forbid the drawing of Their images, as long as we color within the lines. ~ Ghoulslime H Christ, Prophet, Seer, Revelator, and Masturbator
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
ghoulslime
I Live Here

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
This place has a history, style and culture all its own which I think is pretty unique and special. I also think irreverence and satire are very powerful and often underestimated tools for changing peoples perspectives.
I concur with that! When you feign reasonable discussion with unreasonable people you give them respect that they do not deserve. There should be only contempt for most religious people. The only question is in what measure.

We offer no compromise or truce with the intellectually dishonest. They are systematically eviscerated and ridiculed on this forum. It is only the very stupid or the very arrogant who even dare engage us anymore. I like it like that.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
Kinich Ahau
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Eternal wrote View Post
I will administer 50 lashes to my ass cheeks as penance immediately.
I think that might be Kate's job.

Once you are dead, you are nothing. Graffito, Pompeii
Kinich Ahau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #15
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Quote:
Kinich Ahau wrote View Post
I think that might be Kate's job.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote