Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
psychodiva
I Live Here

Shit science

very closely related to shit medicine but encompassing oh so much more- such as this

which originated from a dissertation titled 'Promiscuous men more likely to rape' as noted here

weird how things get turned around eh?

(I suppose a better title for this post would be- 'badly reported science' but it doesn't have that same 'zing!' factor does it?)

“'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what." Fry
psychodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
psychodiva
I Live Here

Worst research ever?

how not to do it

Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
psychodiva
I Live Here

Orthomolecular 'medicine'

Quote:
n 1991, Dutch researchers reported their evaluation of 53 controlled trials of the effects of niacin, vitamin B6, and multivitamins on mental functions. They concluded: Virtually all trials show serious shortcomings: in the number of participants, the presentation of baseline characteristics and outcomes, and the description of changes in concomitant treatments. Only in autistic children are some positive results are found with very high dosages of vitamin B6 combined with magnesium, but further evidence is needed before more definitive conclusions can be drawn. For many other indications (hyperactive children, children with Down's syndrome, IQ changes in healthy schoolchildren, schizophrenia, psychological functions in healthy adults and geriatric patients) there is no adequate support from controlled trials in favor of vitamin supplementation

Old 07-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Whisper

That telegraph report! Fucking hell - I do hope they get shamed into a retraction and apologise! And some of the comments on Goldacre's report in the Guardian! Some very unenlightened people in there.

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
psychodiva
I Live Here

Homeopathy on skepticzone

Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Tenspace
I Live Here

I have found the King of Shit Science. This guy has advanced beyond - way beyond - what could be considered Normal Shit Science. Here's a quote from his blog, Scientific Strings:

Rocket launches is vertical force a bubbled debulging spherical displacemental cycular bubble that bends the atmopsherical dimmensional system from grounding reactors perpindicular degrees of forcing the spherical visual around symetrical ight bending from center of gravitational attracting the turbulances of forces buble hydroscopic of parranormal realities from the Earths surfaces we see the directvertical of passages butt the inner spherical directing horizontals the spherical directional systems from a direct system of displacemental energies mass collect to the gravities edge untill passing the spherical Solar hydro synthesis around solar disiminaries equating the outer dimmensional forces bubbles path to horizontal mass collecting of Earths gravitational forces to burn the fueling molecules to reform universal flowing solar displacemental degrees lefting a dimmensional seminaries of intrigal disciples of energetic fueling the suns heat exchanging created by heated molecules when the temperature begin to reheat beyond the hyper resistances to cold defusioning reactive solar systems cirles of formulas to the rotation of Earths horizons equating a desolvi9ng degrees of helium symptoms by turbulance incremental spherical bubbles transforms the horizontal travel path inner is protected by the dimmensional hell cellular degrees leaving the helium transmutting chemicals outer realities of paths corridors equating a purity of osmic systems transmitting the oxygen into dimmensional relief. of healthy anti gravity.

Yes, it's one sentence. No, it doesn't make any sense.

Can anyone make sense of this psycho?

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
psychodiva
I Live Here

I ran out of breath- and my head hurts

Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
psychodiva
I Live Here

well one good thing- they refused to pay for prayer lol

Quote:
"Given the complete lack of scientific evidence of the efficacy of prayer in treating any illness or disorder in children," academy officials wrote Senate leaders in October, "mandating coverage for these services runs counter to the principles of evidence-based medicine."

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Whisper

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Rocket launches is vertical force a bubbled debulging spherical displacemental cycular bubble that bends the atmopsherical dimmensional system from grounding reactors perpindicular degrees of forcing the spherical visual around symetrical ight bending from center of gravitational attracting the turbulances of forces buble hydroscopic of parranormal realities from the Earths surfaces we see the directvertical of passages butt the inner spherical directing horizontals the spherical directional systems from a direct system of displacemental energies mass collect to the gravities edge untill passing the spherical Solar hydro synthesis around solar disiminaries equating the outer dimmensional forces bubbles path to horizontal mass collecting of Earths gravitational forces to burn the fueling molecules to reform universal flowing solar displacemental degrees lefting a dimmensional seminaries of intrigal disciples of energetic fueling the suns heat exchanging created by heated molecules when the temperature begin to reheat beyond the hyper resistances to cold defusioning reactive solar systems cirles of formulas to the rotation of Earths horizons equating a desolvi9ng degrees of helium symptoms by turbulance incremental spherical bubbles transforms the horizontal travel path inner is protected by the dimmensional hell cellular degrees leaving the helium transmutting chemicals outer realities of paths corridors equating a purity of osmic systems transmitting the oxygen into dimmensional relief. of healthy anti gravity.
Uh... ow.. that made my head hurt... >>

Quote:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin.
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
Smellyoldgit
Stinkin' Mod

Stunning brilliance.
At last, an in depth solution for The Distant Starlight Problem.

Quote:
Abstract

We here explore a way in which light from distant galaxies can reach earth within the biblical timescale. Though the universe is created mature, we will find that this by itself appears to be insufficient to explain our ability to see distant events, prompting the need for a solution to the “distant starlight problem.” The concept of synchrony conventions in physics is examined. The fact that relativistic physics precludes an absolute, invariant synchrony space is reviewed. We then explore the consequences and motivation for the use of the standard Einstein synchrony convention, followed by an investigation of alternative synchrony conventions.

In particular, we find that an observer-centric anisotropic synchrony convention eliminates the distant starlight problem by reducing radially inward-directed light travel-time in the reference frame of the observer to zero. Such a convention implies that everything in the universe has an age of a few thousand years as we currently see it. The biblical basis for such a convention is explored. Potential objections to this synchrony convention are considered. When the anisotropic synchrony convention is applied to standard cosmological parameters, a new young-universe cosmological model emerges which makes falsifiable predictions.

Stop the Holy See men!
Smellyoldgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Stunning brilliance.

I think that it's very accurate and correct, now why didn't any one else think of this before?

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Jimble

In particular, we find that an observer-centric anisotropic synchrony convention eliminates the distant starlight problem by reducing radially inward-directed light travel-time in the reference frame of the observer to zero.

Awesome! Not like the speed of light is one of those pesky constants in physics or anything.
I just KNOW i'm going to get a headache when i read an article trying to be science but starting with "According to the Bible..."

"According to Einstein, there is no “true” time if by that we mean an objective universal synchrony convention that doesn’t depend on position or velocity. The person who argues otherwise has slipped into non-Einstein thinking. ASC is a perfectly legitimate synchrony convention. Therefore, God really did create (the entire Universe) in six ordinary days, and the light really did reach earth on Day Four."

Wat.
Jimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
Choobus
I Live Here

Quote:
Smellyoldgit wrote View Post
Stunning brilliance.
I gots a solution: re-categorise the "distant starlight problem" as "the distant starlight".

No problem!

You can always turn tricks for a few extra bucks. If looks are an issue, there's the glory hole option, but don't expect more than ... tips.
~ Philiboid Studge
Choobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
psychodiva
I Live Here

This kinda sorta reminds me of another person who claims to do read science papers

The caveat in paragraph 19

Quote:
This is what they found: by the time you get to a story length of 8 to 11 paragraphs, on average, your readers read only half the story. A minority will make it to paragraph number 19, where, on this occasion, a fraction of the readers of the Daily Mail would have discovered that the central premise of the news story – that a new trial had found a 40% reduction in cancer through intermittent dieting – was false.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
West491
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Tenspace wrote View Post
Whoever wrote this had intentions of being confusing. Reading through it I noticed unneccessary terms. Using big words has the opposite of the desired effect when used incorrectly.
West491 is offline   Reply With Quote